Ceasefire came to effect at 5 pm, Saturday; India and Pakistan to start talks on a broad set of issues at a neutral site.
Published May 10, 2025 | 5:52 PM ⚊ Updated May 10, 2025 | 7:22 PM
Vikram Misri, Secretary, Ministry of External Affairs, said Pakistan initiated the call on the ceasefire. (PIB)
Synopsis: Pakistan’s Director General of Military Operations contacted his Indian counterpart on Saturday, and both sides agreed “to stop all firing and military action on land, air, and sea” with effect from 5 pm.
India and Pakistan on Saturday, 10 May, decided to stop all firing and military action against each other, easing the threat of a war between the two nuclear-armed countries.
The ceasefire was first announced by US President Donald Trump, who said India and Pakistan “have agreed to a full and immediate ceasefire”.
India’s Ministry of External Affairs later confirmed that the ceasefire came to existence at 5 pm on Saturday. India said the decision on ceasefire was made after Pakistan’s Director General of Military Operations contacted his Indian counterpart.
“After a long night of talks mediated by the United States, I am pleased to announce that India and Pakistan have agreed to a full and immediate ceasefire,” Trump posted on Truth Social, and shared it on X.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 10, 2025
“Congratulations to both countries on using common sense and great intelligence. Thank you for your attention to this matter,” he added.
Vice-President JD Vance, too, shared the message on X.
Taking to X, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said Vice-President Vance and he had engaged with senior Indian and Pakistani officials and the governments of both countries have “agreed to an immediate ceasefire and to start talks on a broad set of issues at a neutral site”.
“Over the past 48 hours, @VPVance and I have engaged with senior Indian and Pakistani officials, including Prime Ministers Narendra Modi and Shehbaz Sharif, External Affairs Minister Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Chief of Army Staff Asim Munir, and National Security Advisors Ajit Doval and Asim Malik.
I am pleased to announce the Governments of India and Pakistan have agreed to an immediate ceasefire and to start talks on a broad set of issues at a neutral site.
We commend Prime Ministers Modi and Sharif on their wisdom, prudence, and statesmanship in choosing the path of peace,” Rubio’s tweet said.
India and Pakistan have today worked out an understanding on stoppage of firing and military action.
India has consistently maintained a firm and uncompromising stance against terrorism in all its forms and manifestations. It will continue to do so.
— Dr. S. Jaishankar (@DrSJaishankar) May 10, 2025
India’s statements on the ceasefire did not mention the US mediation.
External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar said India and Pakistan arrived at an understanding on stopping the military action.
“India and Pakistan have today worked out an understanding on the stoppage of firing and military action,” he said on X.
He further stated that “India has consistently maintained a firm and uncompromising stance against terrorism in all its forms and manifestations. It will continue to do so.”
Foreign Secretary Vikram Misri issued a brief statement at a press conference in Delhi on Saturday evening.
“The Director General of Military Operations of Pakistan called the Director General of Military Operations of India at 1535 hours (3.35 pm), earlier this afternoon,” he told reporters.
“It was agreed between them that both sides would stop all firing and military action on land, air, and sea with effect from 1700 hours (5 pm) IST today. Instructions have been given on both sides to give effect to this understanding. The Director General of Military Operations will talk again on 12 May (Monday) at 1200 hours,” Misri announced.
Later, the Ministry of Defence held a separate press conference, attended by Commodore Raghu R Nair, Colonel Sofiya Qureshi, and Wing Commander Vyomika Singh.
Wing Commander Vyomika Singh.
Speaking to reporters, Wing Commander Singh laid bare Pakistan’s misinformation campaign that it had destroyed India’s military assets. She said Indian assets are “fit and fine”.
“Pakistan has been spreading fabricated allegations that the Indian armed forces have targeted Mosques. Let us make this very clear here that India is a secular nation, and the Indian Armed Forces are a reflection of our Constitutional values. We hold every place of worship of all faiths in the highest regard. Our operations have been aimed exclusively at terrorist camps and facilities being used for anti-India activities. No religious sites — I repeat — no religious sites have been targeted by the Indian Armed Forces,” she said.
The officer further stated that Pakistan had suffered “heavy and unsustainable losses” over the past few days, after it attacked Indian installations without provocation.
Commodore Raghu R Nair.
“It has suffered losses on both land and air. There has been extensive damage to crucial Pakistani air bases like Skurdu, Sargodha, Jacobabad, and Bholari. In addition, a loss of AD weapons systems and radars made the defence of Pakistani airspace untenable,” she said.
The officer said India’s retaliation resulted in extensive and precise damage to military infrastructure, command control centers, and logistic installations across the Line of Control, “which led to the complete breakdown of its defensive and offensive capability and also Pakistani morale”.
Commodore Nair said the Indian army, Navy, and the Air Force have been instructed to adhere to this understanding reached to end all military activities. Since the tragic incidents at Pahalgam, you are aware that our responses have been very measured and responsible,” he added.