Violent attack by alleged BRS mob on Mahaa news office after controversial broadcast shocks Telangana

The incident, which drew sharp condemnation from across party lines, was triggered by a Mahaa News segment alleging BRS leaders misused private bureaucrat conversations—allegedly leading to a top officer couple’s separation

Published Jun 28, 2025 | 11:13 PMUpdated Jun 28, 2025 | 11:15 PM

Violent attack by alleged BRS mob on Mahaa news office after controversial broadcast shocks Telangana

Synopsis: Tensions flared in Hyderabad after a mob allegedly linked to the Bharat Rashtra Samithi (BRS) attacked the Mahaa News office in Jubilee Hills on Saturday, following a controversial broadcast. The segment suggested BRS leaders exploited private conversations between bureaucrats for political leverage, even causing a senior officer couple’s separation. Around 30–40 individuals in BRS gear reportedly damaged parts of the office

Tensions erupted in Hyderabad after a mob allegedly linked to the Bharat Rashtra Samithi (BRS) stormed the Mahaa News office in Jubilee Hills on Saturday afternoon. 

The incident, widely condemned across the political spectrum, followed the airing of a controversial segment implying that BRS leaders used personal conversations of bureaucrats as leverage—allegedly even causing a high-profile couple’s separation.

According to Mahaa News staff who spoke to South First, a group of around 30 to 40 people wearing BRS paraphernalia arrived at the premises during lunchtime and caused damage to the entrance and open areas inside the office.

damage to the entrance of the office

damage to the entrance of the office

While no major injuries were reported, one employee suffered a minor forearm cut. “Thank God for biometric locks,” one staff member said, adding that the mob was prevented from entering the inner offices where nearly 70 staff members were present.

Police personnel stationed outside confirmed to South First that no arrests had been made as of Saturday night. “We’re here for additional security. The investigation is ongoing, and we will be stationed here through the night,” said one officer.

Also Read: Telangana phone tapping scandal: A breach of democratic trust

Allegations of political pressure 

The aired segment allegedly suggested that a personal conversation between an IPS officer and his IAS officer wife was used to exert political pressure. 

Mahaa News’s use of such personal material has drawn sharp backlash from the BRS.

BRS leader Harish Rao lashed out on X (formerly Twitter), accusing the channel of running “vulgar, personal attacks” against KTR, stating, “Character assassination isn’t journalism, it’s malice… KTR has every right to pursue legal action, and we stand by him.”

Telangana Chief Minister Revanth Reddy condemned the attack, calling it a “heinous act.” “Such attacks have no place in a democracy,” he said.

Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Chandrababu Naidu also condemned the incident, terming it “atrocious” and expressing solidarity with Mahaa News journalists. “There is no place for silencing the media through violence,” he said.

Mahaa News has announced an internal meeting on Sunday morning to review the fallout and security arrangements. No equipment was damaged in the attack, and the channel continues to operate normally.

(Edited by Ananya Rao with inputs from Saicharan Sana)

Follow us