Telangana home guard dies of burns three days after self-immolation bid; wife says he was harassed at work

Ravinder reportedly took the extreme step in protest against the delay in getting his salary and died while undergoing treatment.

Published Sep 08, 2023 | 3:45 PMUpdated Sep 08, 2023 | 3:45 PM

M Ravinder was attached to the Chandrayangutta Traffic Police Station. (Supplied)

A home guard, who attempted self-immolation on Tuesday, died while undergoing treatment at a hospital in Hyderabad on Friday, 8 September, the police said — even as his wife alleged harassment by seniors as the reason for her husband taking the extreme step.

The deceased, M Ravinder, 36, of Uppuguda in Chatrinaka, reportedly attempted self-immolation near the commandant’s office at Goshamahal, protesting against a delay in getting his salary.

He suffered more than 50 percent burns and was initially taken to the Osmania General Hospital, before being shifted to Apollo DRDO Hospital at Kanchan Bangh the next day.

The man had been working for the Traffic Police Department for the past 15 years and was attached to the Chandrayangutta Traffic Police Station.

Also read: Telangana school turns food police, prohibits non-veg on premises

Wife alleges harassment

Speaking to reporters, Ravinder’s wife Sandhya said her husband was harassed by his seniors.

“My husband had gone to the commandants’ office on 5 September to enquire about a deduction from his salary. But Constable Chandu and Assistant Sub-Inspector Narasing Rao harassed him, saying, ‘If you want salary, go and ask KCR,'” she said.

Sandhya demanded the CCTV camera footage from the commandant’s office. She also wanted the police to interrogate the two officers who had allegedly harassed her husband. The woman also claimed that Ravinder’s call records had been deleted.

“We had complained to Hyderabad City Police Commissioner CV Anand about the harassment, but nothing happened,” she added.

One of his relatives said they were told why Ravinder was shifted to Apollo through the general hospital’s back gate. They were also not intimated of the time of his death, nor was anyone allowed to see him at the hospital, the relative claimed.

Besides wife, Ravinder is survived by two sons.

Also read: Two girl students of a college in Nalgonda die after consuming poison

Home guards pledge solidarity

Reserve Sub-Inspector (Home Guard) P Srinivasulu said in a complaint that Ravinder had gone to the commandant’s office at 4 pm on Tuesday, 5 September, where he entered into a quarrel over his salary. He left the office, but returned with petrol, set him ablaze at 5.40 pm, and ran into the office.

Those in the office doused the fire and shifted him to the general hospital, the FIR said.

Following Ravinder’s death, home guards from various police divisions and members of the home guard association gathered near Osmania General Hospital and paid tribute to the deceased.

Speaking to reporters, they said their jobs were under threat and demanded permanent employment.

“This is not the first death due to the delay in paying salary. We stand in solidarity with the deceased because the government has not reacted on the issue till now,” the said.

The wife of another home guard said there was no specific date on which the salary of her husband would be credited into his bank account. “Their health is also under a threat due to the long working hours,” she told South First, requesting anonymity.

Also read: Telangana boy killed while saving sister from spurned lover

Opposition blames govt

The Opposition in the state took the government to task over the death of Ravinder.

Telangana Congress president Revanth Reddy said harassment by higher officials led to the attempted suicide and death, while state BJP president G Kishan Reddy termed it a “murder” committed by the Chief Minister K Chandrashekar Rao-led BRS government.

Kishan Reddy, who is also a Union minister, on Thursday paid a visit to Ravinder, who was receiving treatment at the time.

Later, speaking to reporters he said, the BRS government in Telangana failed to fulfil the promises made and assurances given to home guards with regard to improving their working conditions. He appealed to home guards not to resort to such extreme steps.

Revanth Reddy alleged, “This is not a suicide but a murder committed by the state government.”

The state government was not in a position to pay salaries on time to home guards and other employees. The payment for home guards has been pending for the past five months, Reddy charged.

He demanded stern action against the officials allegedly responsible for Ravinder’s death and a government job and ₹25 lakh ex gratia to the family of the deceased.

(With PTI inputs)

Follow us