Pashamylaram factory blast: Death toll rises to 40 as one more person succumbs to burn injuries

The 51-year-old, Mun Mun Chowdary, who had been undergoing treatment at a private hospital for severe burn injuries, passed away.

Published Jul 06, 2025 | 11:08 AMUpdated Jul 06, 2025 | 11:08 AM

Sangareddy chemical factory blast (screengrab)

Synopsis: The death toll in the 30 June blast at the Sigachi Chemical Factory on the outskirts of Hyderabad rose to 40 after one more person succumbed to serious burn injuries. According to officials, 22 are undergoing treatment at different hospitals.

The death toll in the 30 June blast at the Sigachi Chemical Factory in Pashamylaram in the Sangareddy district of Telangana rose to 40 on Sunday, 6 July, after one more person succumbed to serious burn injuries at a private hospital in Patancheru.

The 51-year-old, Mun Mun Chowdary, who had been undergoing treatment at a private hospital for severe burn injuries, passed away on Sunday morning. With his death, the toll at the chemical factory in Sangareddy has risen to 40.

A devastating reactor blast at the Sigachi Chemical Plant – on the outskirts of Hyderabad – triggered a massive fire and the collapse of a three-storey building. The blaze spread rapidly through several parts of the facility.

Officials said they have made arrangements to send Chowdary’s body to his native place after conducting the autopsy.

Also Read: Telangana Government eases norms for commercial establishments

22 under treatment

According to officials, 22 are undergoing treatment at different hospitals, of which 11 are in the intensive care unit (ICU), while another 12, who were admitted immediately after the accident, have since recovered and been discharged. Nine workers, suspected to be inside the factory at the time of the accident, are still missing. The injured include workers from Telangana, Bihar, and Odisha.

In the wake of the tragedy, Chief Minister A Revanth Reddy had announced a series of compensation measures to support the victims and their families.

Speaking at the site, he had said on 1 July that the government is in discussions with the company to secure ₹1 crore in compensation for each life lost.

“If someone is injured and unable to work anymore, we are urging the company to offer ₹10 lakh. Those with other injuries should receive ₹5 lakh. We will also ensure that all medical expenses are covered by the government,” he said.

He also pointed out that identifying the workers has been made more difficult by the death of the manager at the time of the incident.

“There were 143 workers present at the time. Officials have accounted for only 57 so far. We don’t yet know if the rest are trapped or have fled – we are investigating,” he added.

As immediate assistance, the chief minister announced that the District Collector would release ₹1 lakh to the families of the deceased and ₹50,000 to the injured, pending further compensation.

(Edited by Muhammed Fazil with inputs from Sumit Jha.)

Follow us