CPI suspects fire at Telangana Tourism Development Corporation was deliberate, demands high-level probe

CPI national secretary K Narayana demanded a thorough probe into the fire incident, in which files were destroyed.

ByRaj Rayasam

Published Dec 02, 2023 | 8:02 PMUpdated Dec 03, 2023 | 10:56 AM

CPI suspects fire at Telangana Tourism Development Corporation was deliberate, demands high-level probe

Serious doubts have been raised over the fire that gutted files in the Telangana Tourism Development Corporation head office at Himayatnagar in Hyderabad in the early hours of Friday, 1 December.

The fire occurred even as several exit poll surveys suggested the defeat of the ruling BRS in the Assembly elections.

The blaze that occurred in the administrative office on the first floor did not spread to other parts of the building, raising doubts over the cause of the fire and whether it was a deliberate attempt to destroy files.

According to sources, the staff and the officials did not allow anyone inside the office till the afternoon on Friday but later let them in after the intervention of CPI national secretary K Narayana.

Also read: South First Exit Poll gives Congress clear majority in Telangana

As soon as the fire broke out, fire tenders were called which put out the flames. A few vehicles parked near the office were also damaged.

CPI’s Narayana told South First it appeared that the fire was started deliberately to prevent the files related to dubious deals of the Tourism and Forest Departments from becoming public if a new government took over the reins of the state.

He said that the Telangana Tourism Development Corporation Managing Director Boinpally Manohar Rao was hand in glove with the BRS political bosses.

Narayana alleged that Manohar Rao was involved in several instances of corruption.

“This is the reason why the Election Commission also stripped him of any election duty by ordering his suspension for poll code violations,” the CPI leader said.

He wondered how could only files be gutted if the fire was caused by an accident like an electrical short-circuit. “How come the flames did not spread to other parts of the building,” he asked and demanded a high-level inquiry into the incident.

Narayanguda police Inspector Chandrasekhar told South First that the Tourism Department officials had told them that they would provide the details of the files.

“They are yet to get back to us,” the officer said.