Protesting students are demanding a written assurance from the university that the disputed land will be registered under its name. UoHSU and other groups accuse the administration of betraying students by permitting land-clearing activities.
Published Apr 01, 2025 | 6:22 PM ⚊ Updated Apr 01, 2025 | 8:34 PM
As tensions escalate at UoH over Kancha Gachibowli land auction, NSUI opposes own Congress government
Synopsis: Protests at the University of Hyderabad (UoH) have intensified over the Telangana government’s plan to auction 400 acres of Kancha Gachibowli land. Led by the University of Hyderabad Students’ Union (UoHSU), students are opposing the auction, citing environmental concerns and threats to the university’s land. NSUI criticised the violent detention of 60 students and bulldozer clearing at UoH, demanding transparency, environmental assessments, and peaceful resolution from the administration and state government
The University of Hyderabad (UoH) has become the focal point of escalating protests as students demand the protection of the 400-acre Kancha Gachibowli land, which is slated for auction by the Telangana government. Incidentally, National Student Union of India (NSUI) – the Congress’ student wing – is opposing its own party’s government in Telangana over destruction of green cover and mistreatment of students.
The protests, which began in response to the government’s plans for land development, have intensified with large-scale demonstrations, class boycotts, and sit-ins on campus.
Students, primarily led by the University of Hyderabad Students’ Union (UoHSU), have expressed their opposition to the state’s land auction plans, citing environmental concerns and the threat to the university’s territorial integrity.
The protestors gathered at the university’s main gate, raising slogans and demanding the government halt the auction and clear the land of earth-moving machinery.
Amid the unrest, leaders from Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha (BJYM), Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP), and Left parties attempted to enter the campus but were stopped by the police.
Several students were detained, escalating tensions and increasing resentment against the Telangana government led by Chief Minister Revanth Reddy.
NSUI – The student organisation of the Indian National Congress has spoken out against the bulldozer cleaning.
Rachna Reddy, the general secretary of NSUI said, “As members of the NSUI, the student wing of the Indian National Congress, we believe in justice, social justice, and secularism. However, as primary stakeholders at the University of Hyderabad, it’s unacceptable to detain and violently handle over 60 students. The university administration and state government must collaborate and clarify the situation to prevent such actions in the future. This should be resolved peacefully.”
NSUI member, Prabhakar Singh added, “On March 30, the situation escalated when 60-70 students were dragged away by police, and bulldozers arrived on campus without any prior warning. On April 1, the administration finally released a statement, confirming there was no demarcation of the land and that university officials had been involved in land clearing. This lack of communication between the administration and government authorities is frustrating students.
We, as primary stakeholders of the university, are committed to safeguarding its land and environment. We condemn the insensitive remarks made by some officials and the way bulldozers were brought onto the campus.”
NSUI also said the incident occurred during the holidays, leaving students with no avenue to voice their concerns. They have urged the government and administration to involve all stakeholders and address this issue with transparency.
They also emphasised the need for an environmental impact assessment, which has yet to be done. “While we continue discussions with the state government, we cannot stay silent while our peers are being mistreated. We stand united with all students, and we will not back down in our fight for justice,” they added.
In response to the police crackdown, the UoHSU announced an indefinite protest and class boycott, urging students and faculty to join in their demand for the removal of police personnel from the campus and the cancellation of the land auction.
The protesting students are also seeking a written assurance from the university administration that the disputed land will be officially registered under the university’s name.
In a joint statement, the UoHSU and other student groups accused the university administration of betraying the student body by allowing land-clearing activities for the state government.
“We demand transparency in this matter, including the release of meeting minutes related to the land dispute and clear documentation about the land’s ownership,” said Akash, the Vice President of UoHSU.
The students also condemned what they called a “brutal police crackdown” on peaceful demonstrations.
On 1 April, the protests gained political momentum as the Bharat Rashtra Samithi (BRS) expressed support for the student agitation.
However, the party made it clear it would not participate in the protests directly to avoid politicising the issue. This move came amid heavy security deployments around the residences of BRS leaders.
Meanwhile, the BJP leadership in Telangana has escalated the issue to Delhi. Telangana BJP President Kishan Reddy, along with other MPs, met Union Minister Dharmendra Pradhan, urging intervention to prevent the alleged sale of ecologically sensitive land.
The BJP leaders highlighted the land’s ecological significance, hosting numerous species of medicinal plants and birds, and warned of potential environmental damage if the land were developed for real estate projects.
The Telangana government, however, has defended its plans to develop IT infrastructure on the 400-acre parcel, emphasising that the land is state-owned and not part of the university.
According to a statement issued by the Telangana Industrial Infrastructure Corporation (TGIIC), a court ruling supports the government’s claim of ownership.
UoH officials, on the other hand, have refuted the government’s claims, asserting that the boundaries of the land in question were never finalised.
The university’s registrar issued a statement contradicting the government’s assertions, stating that the disputed land falls within the university’s jurisdiction.
The protests also highlight environmental concerns, with student and activist groups urging the government to reconsider its development plans due to the land’s ecological value.
The dispute reached a boiling point on 30 March when bulldozers arrived at the site for clearing operations, triggering further protests and the detention of over 50 students, including PhD scholar Erram Naveen and postdoctoral fellow Rohit Bondugula.
While the other students were released, Naveen and Bondugula were held at Gachibowli police station. Later that night, they were informed that an FIR had been registered against them, leading to their formal arrest.
The scholars have been charged under multiple sections of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita (BNS), including Section 329(3)(Criminal trespass), 18(1)(voluntarily causing hurt by dangerous weapons), 132(assault or criminal force to deter a public servant from discharging duty), 191(3) (being armed with a deadly weapon, 351(3)(criminal intimidation) of Bhartiya Nyaya Sanhita.
In response, the Students’ Union released a statement urging students to remain united.
“One student and one alumnus are still in custody as the police have arbitrarily filed an FIR on them last night. Considering the gravity and sensitivity of the situation, the Union is consulting various stakeholders regarding the course of action. Till then, we request you to not resort to any unprompted action. We will intimate the course of action to the community at the earliest. At this crucial time, we request students to remain united and stand strong against undemocratic actions on campus.”
(Edited by Ananya Rao with inputs from Sumit Jha)