11-year-old electrocuted while flying kite in Hyderabad apartment; management booked

The boy's family alleged that the accident occurred due to the apartment's management negligence and demanded strict action against them.

ByAjay Tomar

Published Jan 13, 2024 | 8:32 PMUpdatedJan 13, 2024 | 8:32 PM

11-year-old Tanishq. (Supplied)

Ahead of Sankranti, festivities turned into tragedy for a family after their 11-year-old boy was electrocuted while flying a kite on the terrace of their apartment in Hyderabad.

As per the FIR, the unfortunate incident took place at the Laxmi Vani Towers in Attapur around 3.15 pm on Friday, 12 January, when the deceased, Tanishq, went to play with his cousin Mohit (15).

A case of negligence under Section 304(A) (causing death by negligence) of the Indian Penal Code has been registered against the management of the apartment by the Attapur police.

Abhishek Ubale, the deceased child’s uncle, told South First, “A high-voltage live electric wire was lying open and improperly on the terrace of the building, which my nephew Tanishq touched accidentally.”

Demanding strict action against the management, he alleged that the accident occurred due to their negligence.

Speaking to the reporters, Tanishq’s cousin Mohit, who lives in a building across Laxmi Vani Towers, said that the child joined him and his friends who were flying kites there. He added that Tanishq collapsed after touching some metallic rods, which were in contact with the live wire.

Also Read: Lokayukta registers suo motu case over electrocution of mother-daughter duo

Previous cases

On 19 November, 2023, a 23-year-old woman named Soundarya and her nine-month-old daughter were electrocuted near Hope Farm junction in Bengaluru City.

The mother and child had just arrived from Tamil Nadu and were walking home when she accidentally stepped on an unattended live wire on the pavement.

A case of negligence was registered against the Bangalore Electricity Supply Company (BESCOM) officials at the Kadugodi Police Station.

On 30 July, a 16-year-old student of the Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya (JNV) in the Kusumanchi mandal of Telangana’s Khammam district died due to an electric shock while a flex board was being installed on the campus.

Following the mishap, Hyderabad Region Deputy Commissioner of the Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti (NVS), T Gopala Krishna, issued the order of the Principal’s suspension.

On 26 June, a 17-year-old boy named Mohammed Hassan had come into contact with the 1,400-volt transformer and suffered 50 percent burns at Meridian School in Hyderabad’s Banjara Hills.

The school subsequently came under fire for allegedly backtracking on its initial commitment to cover Hassan’s medical expenses.

Also Read: Three fans of Rocking Star Yash electrocuted while erecting his birthday banner