The magazine's management believes that service providers like Airtel and Jio were pressured to restrict access to the website. The media house said it has upheld free speech for nearly a century, and confirmed that it was actively seeking clarity on the reasons behind the restriction.
Published Feb 16, 2025 | 10:05 AM ⚊ Updated Feb 16, 2025 | 10:32 AM
Tamil Magazine Vikatan.
Synopsis: Several users have reported that they were unable to access the website of the Tamil Magazine Vikatan. The magazine management said that it had not received any official communication regarding its blocking. The media house said it has upheld free speech for nearly a century, and confirmed that it was actively seeking clarity on the reasons behind the restriction.
Following the reports that the Union government blocked the website of the Tamil Magazine Vikatan, the latter clarified on Sunday, 16 February, that it had received no notification regarding the matter.
In an official statement, it said many users from different locations have reported that they were unable to access the Vikatan website.
Chennai-based Vikatan Group has reiterated its commitment to freedom of expression following the unexpected blocking of its website.
Vikatan Editor T Murugan told South First that there was no official order to block the website, but it appeared to be an unofficial action. According to him, the magazine’s management believes that service providers like Airtel and Jio were pressured to restrict access to the website, which seems to have been blocked around 7 pm on Saturday.
The media house said it has upheld free speech for nearly a century, and confirmed that it was actively seeking clarity on the reasons behind the restriction. Murugan added that official communication has been taking place and is waiting for a response from the Union government.
In the statement, the magazine said that it had published a cartoon criticising Prime Minister Narendra Modi over his silence on Indians being handcuffed and deported from the US.
“This cartoon was criticised by BJP supporters, and BJP state president Annamalai reportedly lodged a complaint against Vikatan with the central government,” it said.
“In this situation, several readers have reported that they are unable to access the Vikatan website. However, there has been no official confirmation from government sources about the website being blocked,” it added in the statement.
We will stand strong in defense of freedom of expression…
For nearly a century, Vikatan has stood firmly in support of freedom of expression. We have always operated with the principle of upholding free speech and will continue to do so. We are still trying to ascertain the… pic.twitter.com/cjiq1YNEOU
— விகடன் (@vikatan) February 15, 2025
Annamalai had filed a complaint with the Chairperson of the Press Council of India and Union Minister of State in the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting L Murugan seeking action against Vikatan, claiming that it was trying to defame Modi.
On behalf of @BJP4TamilNadu, we have submitted two separate representations today: one to the Chairperson of the Press Council of India and another to our Hon MoS Thiru @Murugan_MoS avl, seeking prompt action against Vikatan magazine for being a mouthpiece of the DMK and for… pic.twitter.com/1PZjr9CClC
— K.Annamalai (@annamalai_k) February 15, 2025
Annamalai claimed that the magazine had been operating as a mouthpiece of the ruling DMK in Tamil Nadu and was constantly trying to defame the BJP-led Union government.
Tamil Nadu BJP Vice President (Legal Cell) had also written a letter to the functionaries of the Union and state governments, and the state police claiming that the magazine tried to tarnish the image of Modi.
He claimed that it was an offence to undermine the prime minister. He added that a case under Section 152 (acts endangering sovereignty unity and integrity of India) of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita (BNS) must be charged against the magazine.
Meanwhile, the Chennai Press Club condemned the sudden shutdown of Vikatan’s website. The club stated that media freedom must be upheld and urged authorities to ensure an open and unbiased press environment.
Tamilaga Vettri Kazhagam (TVK) leader CTR Nirmal Kumar also condemned the same and stated that Vikatan, which has upheld freedom of expression for over a century, has not received any official notification from the Union government regarding the restriction.
Calling the move “fascist suppression,” he criticised the act as an attack on neutral and independent journalism.
CPI(M) Tamil Nadu State Committee Secretary P Shanmugam said: “America brought Indians in handcuffs and shackles; does that not mean the same treatment was given to the Indian Prime Minister? Why is the anger that should be directed at America instead being aimed at Ananda Vikatan? Such fear of America!”
However, BJP’s P Sarathkumar has strongly condemned Vikatan magazine for publishing the cartoon. He claimed that such actions are anti-national and stem from an inability to accept the prime minister’s growing global reputation.
Sarathkumar urged the Press Council to take immediate and strict action against those responsible, emphasising that media outlets that do not understand the limits of freedom of expression must be held accountable.
(Edited by Muhammed Fazil with inputs from K Nitika Shivani.)