Tamil Nadu: 44-year-old dies in police custody in Nagapattinam

This is the third custodial death in Tamil Nadu in less than two months, and the second in a matter of weeks.

ByUmar Sharieef

Published Jun 14, 2022 | 1:23 PM Updated Jul 21, 2022 | 3:56 PM

Tamil Nadu: 44-year-old dies in police custody in Nagapattinam

A 44-year-old man named Sivasubramanian died in the custody of the Tamil Nadu Police on Monday, 13 June, in what is the third instance of custodial death in the state in less than two months.

Sivasubramanian was a resident of Panangattur in the district of Vellore in the state, and worked with a local cycle company.

He was behind bars after surrendering at the Thittacheri police station because of a complaint registered against him.

Sequence of events

Sivasubramanian’s son Ganesh is reportedly a local moneylender. They and one Rajagopal had gone to meet an individual named Venkatesh who had borrowed ₹95,000 from Ganesh when an argument broke out between them.

The altercation is said to have turned physical, in which Venkatesh and his mother Vijaya sustained injuries and had to be taken to a hospital for treatment.

Venkatesh complained against the trio at the Nagapattinam police station in this regard.

Subsequently, Sivasubramanian surrendered at the Thittacheri police station, which lodged him in the Nagapattinam sub-jail.

The Nagapattinam district court then sent him to 15 days of judicial custody.

It is during this period that Sivasubramanian fell sick.

Prison officials on 10 June rushed him to a government hospital for treatment.

Sivasubramanian reportedly did not respond to the treatment and passed away at the hospital on Monday.

The Vellipalayam police have begun to probe the case acting upon a complaint by the prison authorities, and the autopsy report is awaited.

Meanwhile, Tamil Nadu BJP chief K Annamalai took to Twitter to condemn the deaths.

Another recent case in Tamil Nadu

Meanwhile, a 33-year-old Dalit man named Rajasekar from Tiruvallur died in police custody on 12 June.

The Kodungaiyur police reportedly arrested him on 11 June and said he had confessed to one of the crimes he was accused of.

He had more than 20 criminal cases registered against him.

The officials claimed they rushed Rajasekar to a nearby hospital when he felt unwell, where he felt better after treatment.

They then brought him back to the police station.

The officials said Rajasekar subsequently developed complications and was declared dead on arrival at the Government Stanley Hospital.

Following the incident, Chennai Police Commissioner Shankar Jiwal placed five police officers under suspension and transferred the probe to the CB-CID.