The fishermen were arrested, and their trawler seized on Sunday, 14 January, north of Point Pedro, Jaffna, the Sri Lanka Navy said.
Published Jan 15, 2024 | 5:31 PM ⚊ Updated Jan 15, 2024 | 5:31 PM
Sri Lankan navy arrested Tamil Nadu fishermen. (Creative Commons)
The Sri Lankan Navy has arrested 10 Indian fishermen and seized their trawler for allegedly poaching in the island nation’s waters, an official statement said on Monday, 15 January. The incident comes just two days after 12 other fishermen from India were apprehended on similar charges.
The fishermen were arrested, and their trawler seized on Sunday, 14 January, north of Point Pedro, Jaffna, the Sri Lanka Navy said in a press release.
The 10 apprehended fishermen were escorted to the Kankesanthurai harbour and will be handed over to the Mailadi Fisheries Inspector for further action, it said.
On Saturday, 13 January, as many as 12 Indian fishermen were arrested, and their three trawlers seized for allegedly poaching in the island nation’s waters.
The fishermen issue is a contentious one in the ties between India and Sri Lanka, with Lankan Navy personnel even firing at Indian fishermen in the Palk Strait and seizing their boats in several alleged incidents of illegally entering Sri Lankan territorial waters.
The Palk Strait, a narrow strip of water separating Tamil Nadu from Sri Lanka, is a rich fishing ground for fishermen from both countries.
There have been periodic instances of Indian fishermen being arrested by Sri Lankan authorities for allegedly crossing the International Maritime Boundary Line and fishing in Sri Lankan waters.
In 2023, the island nation’s Navy arrested 240 Indian fishermen along with 35 trawlers for poaching in Sri Lankan waters.
In October 2023, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister MK Stalin had requested External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar to take immediate action to ensure the release of the all the arrested fishermen and their fishing vessels.
In the letter to Jaishankar, Stalin said such acts of the Sri Lankan navy have put pressure on fishermen communities in the state.
“I wish to state that Tamil Nadu fishermen feel that their voices are on the wane. I feel that the Government of India should be more vocal for our fishermen’s rights and speak for their safety,” he had said.
The chief minister also had reiterated his request to safeguard the traditional fishing privileges of the Indian fishermen in the Palk Bay area. He emphasised that despite the ongoing appeals to halt the detainments and boat seizures, the Sri Lankan navy has persisted in apprehending Indian fishermen.
In his letter, he called for prompt and robust diplomatic actions to put an end to these arrests.
Speaking to South First R Sebastian, a local fishermen’s association leader, had earlier alleged that the Lankan navy itself trespassed across the maritime boundary and often drove Indian fishermen away.
NJ Bose, the general secretary of the Tamil Nadu Fishermen Welfare Association, had called for the state government’s intervention in securing the fishermen’s release.
(With PTI inputs)