As the Kallakurichi hooch tragedy unfolded in June 2024 - killing at least 65 - several Opposition leaders started demanding a CBI probe. They accused DMK functionaries of being in “connivance” with those selling spurious liquor.
Published Nov 20, 2024 | 5:25 PM ⚊ Updated Nov 20, 2024 | 5:25 PM
Family of Kallakurichi hooch tragedy victims mourning their loss (X)
The Madras High Court ordered the transfer of investigation into the Kallakurichi hooch tragedy from CBCID to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on Wednesday, 20 November. At least 66 people were killed in the tragedy after drinking spurious liquor.
A two-judge bench comprising Justices D Krishnakumar and PB Balaji passed the order while hearing a petition filed largely by leaders of Opposition parties in Tamil Nadu.
On the fateful night of 20 June this year, at least 216 people were admitted to various government hospitals across Tamil Nadu after consuming spurious liquor. Of them, over 60 died, making it one of the recent tragedies of significant proportions to affect the state in recent years.
Right after the tragedy unfolded in June, leaders from across political parties, including Edappadi K Palaniswami, K Annamalai and Ramadoss had criticised the state government and demanded a CBI probe.
They alleged that authorities took no action over illicit liquor being sold in Kallakurichi despite multiple complaints and charged that DMK functionaries were in “connivance” with those selling liquor.
On 20 November, the two-judge bench ruled on hearing petitions from functionaries of several Opposition parties including AIADMK, PMK, BJP, DMDK and K Balu, advocate and Chairperson of Social Justice Forum.
The Madras High Court had earlier asked Tamil Nadu to file a detailed report on the steps taken to curb the sale of illicit arrack and said since it concerns the lives of people, the issue cannot be taken lightly.
The Tamil Nadu government argued that the CBCID has completed its investigation, arrested over 20 individuals, according to Live Law. However, the counsel cited charge sheet hasn’t yet been filed only because the state was waiting for toxicology report on the Methanol used in the hooch.
Even though the state argued that transferring the case to CBI at this stage would be futile according to media reports, the High Court held that the loss of over 60 lives justifies transferring the case.
The court also pulled up the DMK government for not keeping tabs on the sale of spurious liquor despite previous instances of such tragedies taking place.
After transferring several officials including District Collector, MK Stalin had also appointed a one-man commission led by retired Madras High Court Judge B Gokuldas. Tasked with coming up with recommendations to the state government on preventive measures to avoid such tragedies in the future, the Justice’s inquiry is still underway.
Addressing media personnel in Pudukkottai, state law minister and DMK leader Raghupathy expressed surprise over Madras HC’s ruling.
While expressing respect for the judiciary, he emphasised the Tamil Nadu government’s ‘unwavering commitment’ to ensuring justice for the victims. He also spoke highly of the Tamil Nadu police’s efficiency.
Talking about next course of action, the minister said that CM MK Stalin will consult with legal experts before deciding on approaching the Supreme Court to challenge the lower court’s order. He also expressed confidence that the order will be reversed.
Raghupathy dismissed allegations that anyone associated with DMK was involved in the sale of spurious liquor, and attacked Opposition parties for approaching Madras HC with petitions due to ‘vested interests.’
Exuding confidence in the DMK government’s commitment to implement Prohibition, he insisted on a nationwide policy to ensure it is effectively implemented across India.
(Edited by Neena with inputs from Nitika K Shivani)