Crisis born of neglect: Vyasarpadi suffers as government support falters in North Chennai

North Chennai remains inadequately supported by the authorities despite two to three days having passed since Cyclone Michuang wrought havoc.

Published Dec 07, 2023 | 9:10 AMUpdated Dec 07, 2023 | 9:10 AM

The flood situation in North Chennai.

Amid the ongoing recovery efforts in Chennai following heavy rains and a destructive cyclone, certain areas of the city are still in desperate need of assistance.

North Chennai, grappling with severe challenges, remains inadequately supported by the authorities, despite three days having passed since Cyclone Michuang wrought havoc.

Dilip Srinivasan, an active volunteer from The New Face of Society (TNFS), described the dire situation at Vyasarpadi to South First.

He highlighted the severe distress in the area: “With network and power yet to be restored and water levels reaching up to the neck, communicating requests through social media — unlike in the southern parts of Chennai — is currently impossible.”

He added: “Social media attention is focused primarily on other areas, leaving Vyasarpadi grappling with severe difficulties.”

Related: Chennai’s blue-collar workers face nature’s fury to protect jobs

Rising water levels

Sharing distressing visuals on social media platform X (formerly Twitter) showing rising water levels, Dilip emphasised the pressing need for immediate assistance.

Floodwater had entered every house and street within JJR Nagar in Vyasarpadi, giving rise to a dire scenario, he said.

“Supplies are scarce, and we are in urgent need of boats. Unfortunately, there is no boat station to support our rescue efforts. There is only one inflatable boat and only five firefighters struggling to cover an area that houses over 15,000 families,” he noted.

Settlements at Mahakavi Bharathi Nagar (MKB) are also severely affected.

“We’ve faced immense difficulties in accessing the marked areas. The Mullai Nagar bus stop leading to locations like Ezhil Nagar is submerged in neck-deep water. The situation is deteriorating,” added Dilip.

Related: Chennai residents struggle with power outages as toll rises to 18

Awaiting assistance

According to Dilip, firefighters reached the JJR Nagar in the Vyasarpadi area only at 9 am on Wednesday, 6 December. For reference, Cyclone Michaung hit Chennai on Monday.

“No officials or politicians have visited the area so far,” noted Dilip.

Singer Gana Muthu, a resident of Vyasarpadi, shared, “The conditions are dire here. There’s no electricity, and thousands of houses have their ground floors flooded. Areas like Ezhil Nagar, Vyasarpadi, JJ Nagar, MGR Nagar, and Satyamurthy Nagar are severely affected.”

Residents have no choice but to navigate rainwater to access food and essential supplies.

“Collaborating with the Vyasai Thozhargal team, we have been working to provide food to those affected by accommodating residents in community halls and the free tuition centres run for children,” he added.

Related: Tamil Nadu seeks ₹5,000 crore Central assistance for flood relief

Lack of resources

The circumstances in North Chennai reveal the need for prompt and comprehensive aid to address residents’ pressing challenges.

Despite tireless volunteer efforts, the lack of essential resources and governmental assistance is a significant hurdle in providing crucial support to the affected community.

“We’ve been striving to focus our efforts on the neglected areas in North Chennai since yesterday,” said Dilip on Wednesday.

“Unfortunately, it wasn’t until last night that we managed to establish contact with anyone.”

He added: ‘There is minimal information available regarding the situation in areas such as Vyasarpadi, Korukkupet, Ezhil Nagar, and the Kodungaiyur dump yard side, till Manali. These areas have been severely neglected.”

Also read: Kollywood celebrities lambast govt over Chennai flood situation

Sewage contamination

The situation in North Chennai appeared to be worsening as the canals surrounding the area overflowed.

Tamil Nadu Minister for Industries TRB Rajaa acknowledged this when he responded to Dilip’s posts on X.

The minister wrote: “Upstream flow, which is still steady from Northern TN and Andhra, is adding to the flow. Inundation is being tackled. Will escalate. Will do my best. [sic]”

“The grassroots team, Vyasai Thozhargal, has been working to organise and provide meals. However, there’s only one elevated spot in the vicinity with limited local resources, making it challenging to send aid. We urgently require boats or any assistance because the main roads are submerged up to hip level,” Dilip shared.

Related: Health risks loom as Chennai floodwaters recede

Fulfilling basic needs

Furthermore, there’s sewage contamination in the area, posing a significant health hazard.

Until the waters recede, basic sanitation and electricity remain inaccessible, leaving women and children stranded and in need of essential sanitation facilities.

“I had to navigate through a 3-km stretch of flooded area to reach affected residents. Efforts are being made to visit the state control room and coordinate with government officials and ministers for support. Regrettably, crucial government representatives are noticeably absent from these vital areas,” he lamented.

The primary objective is to fulfil the basic needs of vulnerable residents appealing for a safe space and essential provisions.

“Their demands aren’t excessive, merely essential for survival. Yet, even these fundamental requests are being disregarded. Unfortunately, this trend of neglect during crises is a common occurrence in North Chennai, with the focus often directed towards the southern parts,” he concluded.

Follow us