Won’t let common man suffer due to strike, Punjab to get new patwaris: Bhagwant Mann

Responding to the ongoing state-wide "pen down" strike by patwaris, he said under-training candidates would be deployed immediately.

Published Sep 03, 2023 | 2:01 PMUpdated Sep 03, 2023 | 2:01 PM

live broadcast of Gurbani

Refusing to let a “handful” of striking patwaris hold the state to ransom, Punjab Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann on Saturday, 2 September, announced the deputation of the under-training patwaris on the field and mandated biometric attendance for all of them.

Mann, responding to the ongoing state-wide “pen down” strike by patwaris, said that he could not let the common man face inconvenience due to the obstinacy of the revenue officers.

He added that 741 patwaris who were under training for 18 months would be deployed in the field immediately as they had already completed 15 months of training.

Besides this, the services of 710 patwaris to be given appointment letters would also be engaged. Instructions were issued to complete the formalities regarding their police clearance and other matters at the earliest.

Also read: Punjab to withdraw notification on dissolution of gram panchayats

‘To get 2,037 new patwaris’

Mann said a total of 586 new posts were being advertised soon so that the state would get 2,037 new patwaris.

“This is the government of the people and the common man will not face any harassment due to whims and fancies of any agitation of the government officials,” said Mann in a statement.

The government had warned patwaris against strike citing the ongoing flood relief compensation distribution.

Taking strict cognizance of a trend amongst Patwaris to hire people to carry out their work, the chief minister announced that biometric attendance would be made compulsory for patwaris.

“We are getting a lot of complaints that they have hired agents to work in their place. This will ensure that Patwaris perform their duty efficiently during office hours without creating any inconvenience to the people. The state government is committed to providing clean, efficient, responsive and transparent administration to the people and no stone will be left unturned for this noble cause,” added Mann.

The revenue officers under the banner of the Revenue Patwar Union have proceeded on a “pen down” strike from 1 September following the registration of a corruption case against a patwari and a kanungo in the Sangrur district a week ago.

The government has invoked the Essential Services Maintenance Act (ESMA) against the striking employees.

According to the union, there are 4,716 revenue circles in Punjab where only 1,523 patwaris are in service, who take care of the work of the circle where they are posted and also the 3,193 additional circles.

Also read: CM Mann counters Punjab Governor over law and order situation

Released ₹285 crore for flood relief

Punjab Revenue, Rehabilitation and Disaster Management Minister Bram Shanker Jimpa on 2 September said that the government released an amount to the tune of ₹285.32 crore to all the 23 districts of Punjab to compensate for the flood damage till 31 August.

Jimpa said that ₹33.50 crore was released as advance relief as soon as reports of flood risk were received in July.

Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann released an amount of more than ₹186 crore on 21 August for crop damage compensation.

This is the first time that a government is giving compensation of ₹6,800 per acre for damaged paddy sapling, he added. Besides this, compensation is also being disbursed for the loss of human lives, livestock and houses.

Follow us