Vinesh Phogat’s appeal against Olympic disqualification rejected by CAS; PT Usha says ‘shocked and disappointed’

Vinesh had scripted history by becoming the first Indian woman wrestler to reach the gold medal bout in the event on 8 August.

Published Aug 15, 2024 | 1:18 AMUpdated Aug 15, 2024 | 1:18 AM

Vinesh Phogat's appeal against Olympic disqualification rejected

Indian wrestler Vinesh Phogat’s appeal against her disqualification from the Olympic Games final has been rejected by the ad-hoc division of the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), the IOA said on Wednesday, 14 August, lashing out at “inhumane regulations” that fail to consider the “physiological and psychological stresses faced by athletes.”

The 29-year-old Vinesh was disqualified for being 100 gm overweight at the time of the weigh-in on the morning of the women’s 50 kg freestyle final last week.

Vinesh had scripted history by becoming the first Indian woman wrestler to reach the gold medal bout in the event on 8 August. “She was found overweight by 100 gm this morning. The rules do not allow this and she has been disqualified,” said an Indian coach on the morning of the next day.

The Indian Olympic Association later confirmed the development and requested privacy for the wrestler, who was competing in her third Olympics. “It is with regret that the Indian contingent shares news of the disqualification of Vinesh Phogat from the Women’s Wrestling 50 kg class. Despite the best efforts by the team through the night, she weighed in a few grams over 50 kg this morning,” the IOA had said.

Related: ‘My courage is broken’: Vinesh Phogat announces retirement from wrestling

PT Usha expresses shock

In a statement, IOA President PT Usha expressed “shock and disappointment at the decision of the Sole Arbitrator at the CAS to dismiss wrestler Vinesh Phogat’s application against the United World Wrestling (UWW) and the International Olympic Committee (IOC).”

“The operative part of the August 14 decision, which dismisses Vinesh’s application to be awarded a shared silver medal in women’s 50 kg category at the Paris Olympic Games has significant implications for her in particular and the sporting community at large,” the IOA stated.

The rejection of Vinesh’s appeal means India’s tally from the Paris Olympics will be of six medals which includes one silver and five bronze.

Also Read: Karnataka government decides to withdraw all its deposits, investments from SBI and PNB citing fraud

Vinesh’s decision to retire and IOA’s statement

Crestfallen after her disqualification last week, Vinesh, in an emotional social media post, announced her retirement from the sport.

She sought forgiveness from everyone who supported her and addressing her mother, she wrote, “Ma, wrestling has won, I have lost. Please forgive me, your dreams and my courage, everything is broken. I don’t have any more strength now. Goodbye wrestling 2001-2024. I shall be indebted to you all. Forgive (me).”

Responding to the CAS’ decision, the IOA statement said, “The marginal discrepancy of a 100 grams and the resultant consequences has profound impact, not only in terms of Vinesh’s career but also raises serious questions about ambiguous rules and their interpretation. The IOA firmly believes that the total disqualification of an athlete for such a weight infraction on the second of two days warrants a deeper examination.”

“The matter involving Vinesh highlights the stringent and, arguably, inhumane regulations that fail to account for the physiological and psychological stresses athletes, particularly female athletes, undergo,” it added.

The IOA said the ruling is a “stark reminder” of the need for more equitable and reasonable standards that prioritise athletes’ well-being.

(Edited by Neena with PTI inputs)

(South First is now on WhatsApp and Telegram)

Follow us