Despite the show of solidarity at the meeting, several opposition leaders voiced concern over the government’s handling of the situation – and the absence of Prime Minister Narendra Modi from the discussions.
Published Apr 24, 2025 | 9:35 PM ⚊ Updated Apr 25, 2025 | 1:01 AM
The meeting, presided over by Defence Minister Rajnath Singh. (X)
Synopsis: Leaders from all major political parties met in Delhi on Thursday and condemned the deadly terror attack in Pahalgam, pledging full support to the government for strong action. The meeting, led by Defence Minister Rajnath Singh, ended with calls for tougher security measures and a decisive response. Prime Minister Narendra Modi wasn’t present at the meeting.
Leaders from major parliamentary political parties met on the evening of Thursday, 24 April, at the Parliament Annexe for an all-party meeting convened by the central government to deliberate on the possible course of action in response to Tuesday’s terror attack in Jammu and Kashmir’s Pahalgam, which left 26 civilians dead.
The meeting, presided over by Defence Minister Rajnath Singh, saw unanimous condemnation of the attack and calls for a firm government response.
Union Home Minister Amit Shah, Bharatiya Janata Party national president JP Nadda, and Union Minister Kiren Rijiju were present at the meeting.
However, Prime Minister Narendra Modi did not attend.
Rijiju said the Defence Minister had briefed the gathering on the central government’s response so far and possible next steps.
“The Defence Minister informed about the incident that happened in Pahalgam and the actions taken by the Indian government in the CCS [Cabinet Committee on Security] meeting. This incident is very sad, due to which everyone in the country is worried. Keeping this in mind, the Indian government has also expressed its intention to take more stringent action today,” he told ANI after the meeting.
For the first time, the government acknowledged that there were lapses that led to the horrific terror attack at Pahalgam. “We told all party leaders that when everything was working well, there has been a lapse and this incident has happened. It has saddened us all. Such an incident shouldn’t happen again. Measures being taken to ensure it doesn’t repeat were briefed by officers in the meeting,” Rijiju told the media.
Leader of the Opposition in Lok Sabha, Rahul Gandhi told ANI, “Everyone condemned the attack. The opposition has given full support to the government to take any action.”
Gandhi is expected to visit Srinagar on Friday and meet those injured in the attack at Anantnag hospital.
Meanwhile, Aam Aadmi Party MP Sanjay Singh said all parties had urged the central government to destroy terror camps and respond decisively.
“Our innocent tourists have been killed. The terrorists should be answered back in their own language. We have all unanimously agreed that we have to give them a befitting reply for the Pahalgam terror attack,” he told PTI.
Trinamool Congress MP Sudip Bandyopadhyay said that lapses in security were part of the discussion.
“Security lapses were discussed. We assured the government that all political parties will stand by the government, whatever decisions they take for the interest of the country,” he told ANI.
Despite the show of solidarity at the meeting, several opposition leaders voiced concern over the government’s handling of the situation – and the absence of Prime Minister Narendra Modi from the discussions.
Earlier in the day, Congress General Secretary Jairam Ramesh questioned the Prime Minister’s decision not to chair the session.
“On the night of 22 April itself, the Indian National Congress had demanded an all-party meeting in view of the brutal terrorist attack in Pahalgam and the target killing of a large number of tourists,” he wrote in a post on X.
“Given the extreme gravity of the matter and the public sentiments of the country, the Indian National Congress expects the Prime Minister himself to chair the proposed all-party meeting at 6 pm today, take all political parties into confidence and build a common resolution.”
22 अप्रैल की रात को ही भारतीय राष्ट्रीय कांग्रेस ने पहलगाम में हुए क्रूरतम आतंकी हमले और बड़ी संख्या में पर्यटकों की टारगेट किलिंग के मद्देनज़र एक सर्वदलीय बैठक बुलाने की मांग की थी।
मामले की अत्यधिक गंभीरता और देश के जनभावनाओं को देखते हुए, भारतीय राष्ट्रीय कांग्रेस अपेक्षा…
— Jairam Ramesh (@Jairam_Ramesh) April 24, 2025
On Thursday, Modi was in Bihar, campaigning for the upcoming assembly elections in the state, alongside Janata Dal (United) chief Nitish Kumar.
All India Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen chief Asaduddin Owaisi, meanwhile, was sharply critical of the security preparedness and called for a more aggressive response.
“It is very good that the Indus Water Treaty has been suspended but where will we keep the water? We will support whatever decision the central government takes. This is not a political issue,” he told ANI.
“I condemn the way the terrorists killed people by asking about their religion. The central government can take action against the nation which shelters the terrorist groups. The international law also permits us to do an air and naval blockade in self-defence against Pakistan and impose sanctions on Pakistan on arms sales.”
Owaisi also raised pointed questions regarding operational response on the ground.
“Why was the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) not deployed at the Baisaran meadow? Why did the quick reaction team take one hour to reach there and they shot people by asking their religion,” he asked.
Highlighting the hate and violence being directed towards Kashmiri students since the attack, he added, “The false propaganda against the Kashmiris and Kashmiri students should be stopped.”
(Edited by Dese Gowda)