It said the eyewitnesses are being questioned in minute detail to piece together the sequence of events that led to one of the worst terror attacks in Kashmir.
Published Apr 27, 2025 | 11:27 AM ⚊ Updated Apr 27, 2025 | 11:27 AM
Pahalgam terror attack
Synopsis: The National Investigation Agency took over the probe into the 22 April terrorist attack in Jammu & Kashmir’s Pahalgam. NIA teams have been camping at the terror attack site and have intensified the search for evidence.
The Union Ministry of Home Affairs has ordered the National Investigation Agency (NIA) to take over the probe into the 22 April terrorist attack in Jammu & Kashmir’s Pahalgam.
“The National Investigation Agency (NIA) has begun the process of formally taking over the Pahalgam terror attack case, in which 26 innocent tourists were mercilessly shot dead on Tuesday, following orders from the Union Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA),” the probe agency said in a press release.
NIA teams have been camping at the terror attack site since Wednesday and have intensified the search for evidence.
The NIA said the investigation teams, overseen by an Inspector General (IG), a Deputy Inspector General (DIG) and a Superintendent of Police (SP) from the anti-terror agency, are examining the eyewitnesses “who had seen the horrifying attack unfold before their eyes at the peaceful and picturesque Baisaran valley”.
It said the eyewitnesses are being questioned in minute detail to piece together the sequence of events that led to one of the worst terror attacks in Kashmir.
The entry and exit points are being closely scrutinised by the NIA teams for clues to the modus operandi of the terrorists.
“The teams, aided by forensic and other experts, are checking the entire area thoroughly for evidence to expose the terror conspiracy that led to the horrendous attack that has shocked the nation,” the NIA said.
The Pahalgam attack, which occurred on 22 April 2025, in the picturesque Baisaran Valley, saw gunmen opening fire on a group of unarmed tourists. Police have since identified and named three of the four suspects involved in the attack—two of whom are believed to be Pakistani nationals and the third a local from Kashmir.
Authorities have detained around 1,500 people across the Kashmir Valley for questioning. The main border crossing with Pakistan has been closed, military diplomats expelled, and India has suspended the Indus Waters Treaty, a historic agreement on water-sharing with Pakistan.
While Islamabad has denied any involvement, the Indian government has remained firm in its stand.
In an all-party meeting convened by the Union government to deliberate on the possible course of action, it acknowledged that there were lapses that led to the horrific terror attack at Pahalgam.
“We told all party leaders that when everything was working well, there had been a lapse and this incident had happened. It has saddened us all. Such an incident shouldn’t happen again. Measures being taken to ensure it doesn’t repeat were briefed by officers in the meeting,” Union Minister Kiren Rijiju told the media.
(Edited by Muhammed Fazil.)