Senior advocate Vijayanarayanan argued on behalf of Vikatan that the ban was an attempt to suppress media freedom and was not against Indian sovereignty.
Published Mar 06, 2025 | 1:14 PM ⚊ Updated Mar 06, 2025 | 8:50 PM
Tamil Magazine Vikatan.
Synopsis: The Madras High Court directed the Union government to reinstate the access to the website of Tamil magazine Ananda Vikatan in India. The Union government had blocked the access to the website, allegedly due to publishing a cartoon depicting Prime Minister Narendra Modi. The judge also directed the company to remove the cartoon.
The Madras High Court on Thursday, 6 March, directed the Union government to reinstate the access to the website of Tamil magazine Ananda Vikatan in India.
The Union government had blocked access to the website, allegedly due to publishing a cartoon on Vikatan‘s online magazine, Vikatan Plus, depicting Prime Minister Narendra Modi chained next to former US President Donald Trump.
Vikatan had said that the Union government had blocked its website without providing any reason, even after officially seeking the same.
Vikatan management filed a case in the high court challenging the Union government for blocking access to its website. The case was heard by Justice Parthasarathy.
Senior advocate Vijayanarayanan argued on behalf of Vikatan that this ban was an attempt to suppress media freedom and was not against Indian sovereignty.
The judge ordered the Union government to lift the ban on the website and also directed the company to remove the cartoon.
The website was taken down, allegedly without prior notification, following a complaint by BJP Tamil Nadu President K Annamalai regarding the cartoon published on 10 February.
The cartoon was a satirical commentary on Modi’s alleged silence over the treatment of Indian nationals deported by the Trump administration from the United States.
According to the Hindu, the I&B ministry instructed internet providers to block the site on their networks, through the Department of Telecommunications, under Section 69A of the Information Technology Act, 2000.
Since Section 69A is concerning “interest of sovereignty and integrity of India, defence of India, security of the State, friendly relations with foreign States or public order or for preventing incitement”, the order blocking the website is considered confidential and Vikatan hasn’t been provided with a copy.
In a statement released after the blocking, Vikatan emphasised its longstanding commitment to journalistic principles:
“For over a century, Vikatan has stood firmly in support of freedom of expression. We have always operated with the principle of upholding free speech and will continue to do so.”
T Murugan, editor of Ananda Vikatan said to South First that Vikatan has filed another petition before the Madras High Court challenging the blocking of its website, www.vikatan.com.
During the hearing, senior counsel Vijay Narayan, representing Vikatan, argued that the cartoon was an artistic expression protected under free speech and journalistic freedom. However, the Central Government contended that the cartoon violated Section 69A of the IT Act.
The court had earlier granted interim relief, allowing the website to be restored once Vikatan confirmed the removal of the impugned cartoon. Now, with the new petition, Vikatan continues its legal battle against the website block. The Additional Solicitor General has sought two weeks to file a detailed counter.
(Edited by Muhammed Fazil with inputs from Subash Chandra Bose.)