Hyderabad temple priest, who killed ‘girlfriend’ and dumped body in a manhole, sent to judicial custody

The police said the accused Sai Krishna also claimed that the victim was pregnant with his child and had an abortion in March this year.

ByAjay Tomar

Published Jun 10, 2023 | 6:34 PMUpdatedJun 10, 2023 | 6:34 PM

Hyderabad temple priest, who killed his 'girlfriend' and dumped the body in manhole, sent to judicial custody

On Saturday, 10 June, a city court sent the 36-year-old priest of a temple in Hyderabad to judicial custody for the cold-blooded murder of a 30-year-old woman — with whom he allegedly had an extramarital affair — on 4 June.

According to Cyberabad police, the accused, Ayyagari Venkat Surya Sai Krishna — an MBA graduate, a priest at the Bangaru Miasamma Temple in Saroornagar, and a building contractor — on 9 June confessed that he had murdered Kuruganti Apsara and later dumped her body in a manhole.

Confirming his remand Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP) Shamshabad K Narayana Reddy told South First, “Among other things, we will be also investigating whether someone else was also involved in committing the murder. The accused will also be taken to the crime scene to recreate it.”

The police said that, in his initial testimony, Sai Krishna also claimed that Apsara had been pregnant with his child and had an abortion in March.

“He said this while testifying, but we have to verify it now by delving into details such as where the abortion was done and confirming it with the hospital authorities,” DCP Reddy added.

In his confession to the police, the accused — father of a girl — said he murdered Apsara because she was pressuring him to leave his wife and marry her.

Also Read: Car runs over, kills 3-year-old sleeping in Hyderabad parking lot

Registers false complaint

The victim Apsara was a native of Coimbatore in Tamil Nadu and shifted with her family to Saroornagar in April 2022 where she met Krishna at the temple, became friends, and got into a physical relationship.

According to the police, under the pretext of taking Apsara to Coimbatore on 3 June, the accused Krishna picked up her up at around 8.15 pm from her home and initially took her to Narkhoda village in Shamshabad.

Kuruganti Apsara

The victim Kuruganti Apsara. (Twitter)

“As the deceased started feeling ill and sleepy, the accused took her to his cow shelter in Sultanpura and around 4 am, the accused Krishna tried to kill her,” the cops said.

They added that Krishna initially tried to kill Apsara by pressing her face against his car’s tarpaulin cover sheet. However, when she resisted, the accused repeatedly smashed her head with a stone.

“As per his plan the accused had already kept the stone in his car along with the car cover,” the police said.

After killing the victim, Krishna went to her house on 5 June and took her mother Aruna to the Rajiv Gandhi International Airport (RGIA) Police Station in Shamshabad.

The cops said that Krishna lodged a “false complaint” claiming that his “neice” Apsara, whom he had dropped at Shamshabad bus stand as she was going to Bhadrachalam, was missing and her phone was also switched off.

Also Read: How fake US immigration consultancy operated in Hyderabad

Dumps body in manhole

After registering the missing complaint on 5 June, Krishna noticed a bad smell coming from the body in his car on the same evening and dumped the body in a manhole behind the Sub-Registrar Office (SRO) in Saroornagar.

The cops added that on the morning of 6 June, Krishna brought two truckloads of red soil and covered the manhole. He also burnt her hand and luggage bag in order to avoid the smell and washed his car as well.

The next day he again visited the SRO office and when he sensed the bad odour, Sai Krishna got the manhole covered with cement concrete.

Meanwhile, the cops also questioned the victims’s mother. After scanning footage from CCTV cameras, they found her version of events contradicting those of the accused Sai Krishna.

They discovered that Krishna had dumped the body in a manhole behind the SRO, covered it up with red soil and fabricated a story about his missing niece.

On 9 June, at 7 am, the RGIA Shamshabad cops brought Krishna for interrogation where he confessed to the crime.

The accused has been sent for remand to the Cherlapally Jail.