Explosions heard in Srinagar hours after India-Pakistan ceasefire announcement

The ceasefire was first announced on the evening of Saturday, 10 May by US President Donald Trump, who claimed credit for brokering peace.

Published May 10, 2025 | 9:32 PMUpdated May 10, 2025 | 11:22 PM

Explosions heard in Srinagar hours after India-Pakistan ceasefire announcement

Synopsis: Hours after India and Pakistan announced a full and immediate ceasefire, Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah reported explosions in the region through a series of posts on social media.

Hours after India and Pakistan announced a full and immediate ceasefire, Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah reported explosions in the region through a series of posts on social media.

“What the hell just happened to the ceasefire? Explosions heard across Srinagar!!!” he wrote on X.

In a follow-up post, Abdullah added: “This is no ceasefire. The air defence units in the middle of Srinagar just opened up.”

Authorities have enforced a complete blackout in Srinagar and Udhampur in Jammu and Kashmir, Jaisalmer in Rajasthan, and Ferozepur and Pathankot in Punjab.

In a press statement, foreign secretary Vikram Misri said the violations constitute a “breach of the agreement made earlier today.”

Notably, he did not use the word ceasefire in his statement.

“There have been multiple violations in the past few hours of the understanding reached earlier this evening between the Directors General of Military Operations of India and Pakistan. This constitutes a breach of the agreement made earlier today. The armed forces are providing an adequate and appropriate response to these violations, and we take the motives behind them very seriously,” he said.

“We call upon Pakistan to take appropriate steps to address the violation and deal with the situation with seriousness and responsibility. The armed forces are maintaining a vigilant stance regarding the situation. They have been instructed to respond decisively to any further instances of violations along the international border as well as the Line of Control.”

Also Read: India contradicts US claims: Ceasefire declaration leaves questions unanswered

Short-lived cessation of hostilities 

The ceasefire was first announced on the evening of Saturday, 10 May by US President Donald Trump, who claimed credit for brokering peace.

“After a long night of talks mediated by the United States, I am pleased to announce that India and Pakistan have agreed to a full and immediate ceasefire,” Trump posted on Truth Social.

Minutes later, India’s Ministry of External Affairs confirmed the ceasefire without reference to US mediation. The MEA later contradicted Trump’s assertions.

“India and Pakistan have today worked out an understanding on the stoppage of firing and military action,” External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar wrote on X.

“India has consistently maintained a firm and uncompromising stance against terrorism in all its forms and manifestations. It will continue to do so.”

At a press conference in Delhi, Foreign Secretary Vikram Misri said:

“The Director General of Military Operations of Pakistan called the Director General of Military Operations of India at 1535 hours (3.35 pm), earlier this afternoon,” Misri stated.

“It was agreed between them that both sides would stop all firing and military action on land, air, and sea with effect from 1700 hours (5 pm) IST today. Instructions have been given on both sides to give effect to this understanding. The Director General of Military Operations will talk again on 12 May (Monday) at 1200 hours.”

(Edited by Dese Gowda)

Follow us