Civilian casualties mount after Pakistani shelling across LoC in J&K; gurdwara in Poonch targeted

Shiromani Akali Dal President Sukhbir Singh Badal condemned the shelling as an “inhuman” act and a direct assault on a sacred place of worship.

Published May 07, 2025 | 5:29 PMUpdated May 07, 2025 | 5:29 PM

Civilian casualties mount after Pakistani shelling across LoC in J&K; gurdwara in Poonch targeted

Synopsis: Civilians casualties in India mount after heavy cross-border shelling by Pakistani forces along the Line of Control in Jammu and Kashmir, with shells hitting civilian areas including a historic gurdwara in Poonch. The attack follows India’s early morning precision strikes on reported terror infrastructure in Pakistan and Pakistan-occupied Kashmir.

Heavy cross-border shelling by Pakistani forces across the Line of Control (LoC) in Jammu and Kashmir (J&K) has resulted in civilian casualties, with deaths estimated to be in the dozens and nearly 50 others injured.

Shells landed in multiple civilian areas, including a bus stand and the historic Central Gurdwara Sri Guru Singh Sabha Sahib in Poonch district, the BBC reported, citing eyewitnesses.

Among the dead are Bhai Amrik Singh, a raagi (religious singer), Bhai Amarjeet Singh, and Bhai Ranjit Singh, all of whom were present at the gurdwara when it came under fire.

Shiromani Akali Dal President Sukhbir Singh Badal condemned the shelling as an “inhuman” act and a direct assault on a sacred place of worship.

“I strongly condemn the inhuman attack by Pakistani forces on the sacred Central Gurdwara Sri Guru Singh Sabha Sahib in Poonch, in which three innocent Gursikhs were killed,” he wrote in a post on X.

“The Sikhs have always been, and will continue to be, the sword arm of the country. We stand like a rock with our armed forces. Although the Shiromani Akali Dal and our country stand for peace, if our honour is challenged by the enemy, we need no reminder to fulfil our patriotic duties.”

Also Read: Col Sofiya Qureshi, Wg Cdr Vyomika Singh brief India about Operation Sindoor: How and why it happened

Deliberate civilian targeting

Earlier in the day, Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah accused Pakistan of deliberately targeting civilian areas.

“Pakistan has gone out of its way to target the civilian population. I have taken stock of the situation with all LoC district collectors. We are responding with urgency,” he told NDTV, after holding a high-level meeting to assess security and preparedness along the border and Line of Control areas.


The escalation follows India’s launch of Operation Sindoor in the early hours of Wednesday, 7 May.

According to the Ministry of Defence, a series of precision strikes targeting terrorist infrastructure in Pakistan and Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK) were carried out in response to last month’s terror attack in Pahalgam, which claimed the lives of 26 tourists.

“Our actions have been focused and non-escalatory. No Pakistani military installations were targeted,” the Defence Ministry said, adding that India had shown restraint while fulfilling its pledge to hold those responsible for the Pahalgam attack accountable.

Pakistan, however, has denied involvement in the Pahalgam incident and described the Indian strikes as “unprovoked aggression”.

Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif warned that the “heinous act of aggression will not go unpunished”.

According to Pakistani officials cited by the BBC, seven civilians, including two children, were killed in the Indian strikes on Muzaffarabad, Kotli, and Bahawalpur.

Follow us