Authorities revealed that the actors had visited Omprakash at a hotel in Maradu near Kochi, where he was staying.
Published Oct 07, 2024 | 6:00 PM ⚊ Updated Oct 07, 2024 | 6:00 PM
Sreenath Bhasi and Prayaga Martin.
The Kerala police on Monday, 7 October, expanded their investigation into a drug case involving notorious gangster Omprakash, extending the probe to Malayalam actors Sreenath Bhasi and Prayaga Martin.
Authorities revealed that the actors had visited Omprakash at a hotel in Maradu near Kochi, where he was staying. It was in the custodial application submitted by the police that the names of the actors were mentioned.
Omprakash and his associate, Shihas from Kollam, were arrested following a tip-off about a large-scale drug sale ahead of a concert by Norwegian DJ and music producer Alan Walker in Kochi.
During a raid on the hotel room on Sunday, police seized liquid drugs and eight bottles of alcohol. It is said that they booked three hotel rooms and were planning to carry out the sales from there.
However, Ernakulam Chief Judicial Magistrate Court granted bail to Omprakash and Shihas on Monday, noting the absence of a commercial quantity of drugs in the seizure and the absence of evidence that proves that they used drugs.
Omprakash is an accused in the infamous Paul Muthoot George murder case.
In April last year, Malayalam film bodies banned actors Shane Nigam and Bhasi after receiving multiple complaints from several producers.
Subsequently, the Film Employees Federation of Kerala (FEFKA) and Kerala Film Producers’ Association (KFPA) lifted the ban after Sreenath Bhasi wrote an apology letter where he reportedly apologised to the Producers’ Association and expressed deep regret for his behaviour in the past.
Bhasi also stated that he would uphold professionalism and decency on sets in future. He said he wouldn’t act indecently and would work in a positive and collaborative work environment.
It was imposed after a period of non-cooperation by producers following allegations of misconduct by Nigam and Bhasi, and disagreements over remuneration demands made by the duo.
While imposing the ban, then president of the Producers’ Council M Renjith pointed out that both Nigam and Bhasi were often found under the influence of drugs on the film sets which created difficulties for the producers and the crew.
(Edited by Muhammed Fazil with inputs from Dileep V Kumar)