Execution of Kerala woman Nimisha Priya postponed following negotiations in Yemen

The Yemeni authorities confirmed that the execution of Priya, which was scheduled for 16 July, has been postponed until further notice.

Published Jul 15, 2025 | 2:28 PMUpdated Jul 15, 2025 | 4:01 PM

Nimisha Priya. (Sourced)

Synopsis: Negotiations are underway in Yemen to save a Kerala-based woman who has been on the death row in the country. Advocacy groups and religious leaders are working to secure a last-minute deal, with efforts focused on postponing the execution.

Following intense negotiations in Yemen on Tuesday, 15 July, the execution of Kerala-based woman Nimisha Priya, who is on death row in the country, has been reportedly postponed. The Yemeni authorities made the decision after advocacy groups and religious leaders worked to secure a last-minute deal and to allow for further talks.

The Yemeni authorities confirmed that the execution of Priya, which was scheduled for Wednesday, has been postponed until further notice.

The decision comes following directions from the Yemeni Attorney General. The postponement was confirmed by Radwan Ahmed Al-Mujarah, the Implementation Officer.⁩

Advocate Subhash Chandran KR, representing the Save Nimisha Priya International Action Council, told South First that blood money could be an option if the victim’s family agrees.

Also Read: Save Nimisha Priya Action Council questions the Union government’s inaction

‘Merely fulfilled responsibility’

Meanwhile, Grand Mufti of India Sheikh Abubakr Ahmad, also known as Kanthapuram AP Aboobacker Musliyar, who initiated a mediation with Yemeni authorities, stated that he merely fulfilled his responsibility to uphold goodness.

The crucial breakthrough came after Kanthapuram held discussions with prominent Sunni scholar Sheikh Habib Umar bin Hafiz. Following these talks, and with the intervention of the Sheikh of Wasabia, Yemeni authorities decided to defer the execution.

Priya’s family has been advised to continue negotiations with the family of Mahdi Talal, the victim. The postponement was issued without the consent of the victim’s family, and no final decision has yet been made regarding the acceptance of blood money or a formal pardon.

Leader of the Opposition in Kerala Assembly VD Satheesan welcomed the news, calling it a source of “comfort and hope” for the people of Kerala. In a statement, Satheesan said that every possible diplomatic, legal, and humanitarian channel must be explored to secure Nimisha’s release.

He also expressed optimism over the intervention of Kanthapuram in the matter and hoped that the discussions initiated by Sheikh Habib Umar bin Hafiz would yield a positive outcome.

“We will sincerely support all those working towards Nimisha Priya’s release. Let us now wait for the happy news of her return after overcoming all legal hurdles,” Satheesan added.

India requests a stay on execution

India, despite lacking diplomatic presence in Yemen, had formally requested a stay on the execution and is engaging with tribal leaders to mediate.

A trust that previously helped save another Kerala native, Abdul Rahim, in Saudi Arabia, has offered up to ₹11 crore to support Priya’s case. Businessmen MA Yusuff Ali and Bobby Chemmannur pledged ₹1 crore each.

On Monday, the Supreme Court heard a plea seeking urgent intervention to prevent the execution of Priya. The petition, filed by the Save Nimisha Priya International Action Council, urged the Union government to support ongoing talks for a pardon through Yemen’s Shariat-based system by facilitating the payment of blood money.

The Advocate General informed the court that India had already taken all possible steps, citing the lack of diplomatic ties with Yemen as a major hurdle. The government stressed that further intervention was unlikely and that the matter now depended on private negotiations between the two families.

However, it also acknowledged that parallel unofficial negotiations, involving influential sheikhs and businesspersons, are in progress.

The court, noting the sensitivity and jurisdictional limitations, asked the Union government to file a fresh status report and adjourned the case to Friday.

Meanwhile, Kerala Governor RV Arlekar stepped in to support efforts to save Priya. He held discussions with the Ministry of External Affairs  (MEA) officials and Yusuff Ali, urging swift action as talks with the victim’s family are ongoing.

Yusuff Ali assured the Governor that money would not be a constraint, as they are ready to pay any amount of blood money demanded by the victim’s family. Acting on this, Governor Arlekar had requested the MEA to immediately intervene to halt the execution, allowing time for the ongoing negotiations.

Also Read: Will documentary on Biscuit King Rajan Pillai expose long-buried secrets?

The case against Priya

Priya was arrested at the Yemen-Saudi Arabia border in August 2017. A month earlier, she had dosed Yemeni national Mahdi Talal with ketamine in a claimed bid to sedate him and retrieve her passport from his possession.

Priya’s act killed Mahdi from a ketamine overdose. Panicked, she sought the help of another nurse, cut up the man’s body, and tossed it into a water tank.

A year before the incident, Priya had approached the Yemeni police. She complained that Mahdi was abusing and torturing her. Nothing happened.

Meanwhile, Priya’s husband, Thomas, expressed hope that her release was still possible. A key factor fueling the hope, he said, was that the victim’s family had not yet demanded blood money.

(Edited by Muhammed Fazil with inputs from Sreelakshmi Soman.)

Follow us