Woman who accused former CM Yediyurappa of sexually harassing minor daughter dies at hospital

Police said she had been suffering from various ailments, including cancer, and added that she died of natural causes as per medical reports.

ByMahesh M Goudar

Published May 27, 2024 | 2:26 PMUpdatedMay 27, 2024 | 4:57 PM

POCSO case against BS Yediyurappa

A woman, who had lodged a sexual harassment complaint against BJP leader and former chief minister BS Yediyurappa, died at a private hospital in Bengaluru on Monday, 27 May.

The police said she had been suffering from various ailments, including cancer, and added that she died of natural causes.

On 14 March, she lodged a complaint with the Sadashivanagar police, saying Yediyurappa had sexually harassed her 17-year-old daughter.

Based on her complaint, Yediyurappa was booked under the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act. The case was transferred to the CID for further investigation.

The woman passed away after a prolonged illness. A daughter and son survive her.

Also Read: Is law and order deteriorating in Karnataka?

‘Death due to natural causes’

“She was residing in an apartment in the Hulimavu area. She had been suffering from lung cancer, cardiac, respiratory, and kidney issues for the past few years. She was diagnosed with lung cancer around one-and-a-half years ago,” the police said.

“After developing respiratory issues last night, she went to the private hospital with her daughter between 8 pm and 8:45 pm. However, she did not respond to treatment and breathed her last at around 9:15 pm,” the police further said.

“The medical reports stated that it was a natural death,” the police added.

Related: Survivor’s mother seeks BS Yediyurappa’s arrest in POCSO case

Over 50 complaints

After she had lodged the complaint, the Bengaluru City Police provided security to her residence.

In the complaint against Yediyurappa, she had alleged that the BJP leader held the minor’s daughter hand throughout the conversation and later took her to a separate room, where he sexually harassed her.

She requested the Karnataka State Commission for Women to intervene in the case and order the immediate arrest of Yediyurappa.

“Make sure that unbiased investigation is done to ensure justice for my minor daughter,” she had urged the women’s panel.

However, Yediyurappa denied her allegations. He admitted to meeting her at his residence when she had approached him seeking help but did not molest her daughter.

It may also be noted that the deceased woman had lodged similarly 53 complaints against several people including her husband, police officers investigating the rape case of her daughter, and leaders of Opposition parties.

(Edited by Majnu Babu).