SIT probing sexual assault charges against Prajwal takes HD Revanna into custody

HD Revanna was taken into custody hours after the police rescued a woman who was allegedly abducted by the JD(S) MLA’s aide.

BySouth First Desk

Published May 04, 2024 | 7:32 PMUpdatedMay 04, 2024 | 7:41 PM

HD Revanna and Prajwal Revanna

The Special Investigation Team (SIT), probing sexual assault allegations against Hassan MP and NDA candidate Prajwal Revanna, took JD(S) MLA and former minister HD Revanna into custody on Saturday, 4 May.

Revanna is the son of former Prime Minister HD Deve Gowda and elder brother of former Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy.

Revanna was taken into custody hours after Mysuru police are said to have found a woman who was allegedly abducted by the JD(S) MLA’s aide on his instructions.

The missing woman’s son had lodged a complaint accusing Revanna and his aide Satish Babanna of abducting his mother.

The SIT rescued the woman, a Krishnaraja Nagar resident, from Revanna’s assistant Rajasekhar’s farmhouse near Kalenahalli in Mysuru’s Hunsur Taluk on Saturday.

Related: Survivor in Hassan sex scandal accuses JD(S) MP Prajwal, his father Revanna of abuse

HD Revanna detained 

Officials of SIT took HD Revanna into custody after his anticipatory bail was rejected by a Bengaluru court on Saturday.

Revanna was detained from his father HD Deve Gowda’s house at Padmanabhanagar in Bengaluru. HD Revanna faces charges of sexual harassment by one complaint and is also accused of kidnap by another.

Sources suggested Revanna was taken into custody in connection with a kidnapping case.

HD Revanna’s son Prajwal Revanna, who is accused of assaulting several women, recording the act and threatening them, is still absconding.

The JD(S) MP flew out of the country on a diplomatic passport. Prajwal Revanna is the BJP-JD(S)’ join candidate in Hassan.

Several of the sexual assault videos are said to have been shot in Hassan. One of the complainants in the case has accused Prajwal Revanna of rape in his MP quarters.

Related: Revanna booked for kidnap of ex-help allegedly raped by Prajwal

Kidnapping case against HD Revanna

The SIT is said to have detained HD Revanna after a complaint accusing him and his aide of abducting a woman was lodged.

According to the FIR filed by the victim’s son, accessed by South First, three to four days ahead of the Lok Sabha elections (26 April), the victim was taken from her home by the accused Sathish Babanna on the pretext of Bhavani (HD Revanna’s wife) calling for her.

She was then dropped back at her residence on election day, 26 April.

The FIR further notes that the victim’s family was threatened not to inform the police, or even if the police approach them, Sathish Babanna should be informed.

Three days after the election day, on 29 April, the victim was taken by Sathish Babanna against her will and has been missing since.

The FIR states, “On 29 April, at 9 pm, when we were at home, Sathish Babanna came and said that if the police come and get your mother, they could file a case and you will go to jail. So Revanna sir (HD Revanna) asked me to bring her. He forcibly took her on a Hero Honda.”

Babanna was arrested on Thursday, 2 May. He was presented before the KR Nagar Judicial Magistrate First Class court and remanded in judicial custody for 14 days.

Related: ‘Blue Corner Notice’ likely against Prajwal Revanna

Alleged rape

In another harsh shock to the family, on 1 May, the complainant learnt that the video of a woman allegedly raped by Prajwal Revanna — even as she requested to be spared — had gone viral. His friends and family members identified the woman in the video as his mother.

When the complainant contacted Babanna about his mother’s whereabouts, he was told that, “Revanna sir’s son Prajwal got into a fight with somebody and a picture of your mother holding a stick and standing has come out. Because of that an FIR has been registered. She has to get bail and come out. He also told me not to contact him from my phone but to use someone else’s.”

The victim’s son further emphasised that his mother’s life was in danger and the police should find her soon.

She had worked at Revanna’s residence for six years, and quit the job three years ago.