Karnataka government has been maintaining that construction of Mekedatu project is the only solution to resolve inter-state water dispute.
Published Jan 25, 2024 | 12:16 PM ⚊ Updated Jan 25, 2024 | 12:16 PM
Karnataka Deputy Chief Minister DK Shivakumar. (X)
Karnataka Deputy Chief Minister DK Shivakumar on Wednesday, 24 January, said the much-awaited Mekedatu balancing reservoir across the Cauvery river would be completed during the term of the current Congress government.
The contentious Mekedatu project intends to store 66 TMC of water and supply it to Bengaluru during the shortage of water.
While Tamil Nadu has been objecting to it saying that the reservoir will take away its share of Cauvery water, but Karnataka has been insisting that it will utilise its share.
Shivakumar said former Prime Minister HD Deve Gowda has accused the Congress government of not being serious about the Mekedatu project. It is not true, he said.
“We will complete the project within our government’s tenure, but will Deve Gowda, who is close to Prime Minister Narendra Modi, get us the Centre’s approval for the project?” Shivakumar asked after inaugurating the Mutthina Mullusoge project in Periyapatna taluk of Mysuru.
The Mutthina Mulusoge project aims at providing Cauvery water to 150 lakes in 79 villages of Periyapatna Taluk.
Complaining that the JD(S) patriarch Gowda was casting aspersions on the Congress unnecessarily, he said the state government has been fighting legally to get approval for the Mekedatu project.
Shivakumar said the Supreme Court has already instructed the Water Management Tribunal not to obstruct the construction of a dam at Mekedatu.
“River Cauvery is our mother and we are all alive due to her blessing. Yet, none of the 26 MPs from the BJP are pressuring the Centre to approve the project. Why is it that Mysuru BJP MP Pratap Simha isn’t approaching the prime minister to obtain approvals for Mekedatu project?” he asked.
The deputy chief minister said the government has already instructed the revenue officials of Mandya, Chamarajanagara, Mysuru, and Bengaluru Rural districts to handover revenue lands to those who will lose their lands to the Mekedatu project and the Forest department officials will start the tree census exercise.
Shivakumar explained that the Mekedatu dam is a balancing reservoir to release water to Tamil Nadu when there is not enough water in the Harangi, Kabini, KRS and Hemavathi reservoirs.
The Karnataka government has been maintaining that construction of the Mekedatu balancing reservoir across the river near Kanakapura in Ramanagara district is the only solution to resolve the inter-state water dispute during distress years.
Tamil Nadu is opposed to this project, claiming it would be detrimental to its interest and that of its farmers.
Considering the advice of the legal experts, the Siddaramaiah government also decided to fight for the Mekedatu balancing reservoir project before the Supreme Court and the CWMA.
Siddaramaiah earlier said: “The Mekedatu reservoir project will not cause any harm to Tamil Nadu. They are opposing this because of political reasons. Last year, 650 tmcft went to Tamil Nadu. If there is a balancing reservoir, we can store 67 tmcft. This is not being built for irrigation purposes but for drinking water and power generation purposes. This will help people of Bengaluru and Kolar for drinking water.”
Siddaramaiah also said: “We will release the remaining water to Tamil Nadu. In the distress period, we can release the stored water to the neighbouring state from the Mekedatu balancing reservoir. We cannot utilise this water. They also insisted that we argue effectively before the apex court on building the Mekedatu balancing project. So, we will soon decide about filing a petition on the matter.”
In September 2023 the Siddaramaiah-led Cabinet decided to proceed with the Mekedatu balancing reservoir project.
Shivakumar, who also holds the water resources portfolio told reporters then that, “The Tamil Nadu had orally appealed to discontinue the Mekedatu balancing reservoir project before the apex court. The previous government had submitted an affidavit on the matter. Though they had allocated ₹1,000 crore for the project but were not able to take up the work,” Shivakumar said.
“The apex court asked, what problem do you (Tamil Nadu) have? They (Karnataka) will develop the reservoir in their state. They will supply the allocated 177 tmc of water without fail. Why are you objecting to this project? They raised objection to this and also the court asked them to approach it if there were any qualms regarding this,” added the deputy chief minister.
He continued: “Therefore, we have decided to proceed with the project. The court has also directed the state to submit the relevant documents and approach the authority concerned and resolve the dispute at the authority itself. We will submit the proposal before the CWMA and proceed with the project.”
“There are some hurdles such as the environment clearances and Detailed Project Report at the Union government level. The government will file and work towards advancing with the project. The court has also realised that this project will help both the states. We will submit all the relevant documents and proceed with the project,” asserted Shivakumar.
(With PTI inputs)