Despite the call for the bandh, services like BMTC buses and autos were functioning as usual during the early hours.
Published Mar 22, 2025 | 10:07 AM ⚊ Updated Mar 22, 2025 | 10:07 AM
BMTC bus amid Bandh. (Supplied)
Synopsis: A state-wide bandh is underway in Karnataka on 22 March, supported by 3,000 pro-Kannada groups. The bandh, from 6 am to 6 pm, protests an alleged assault on a bus conductor and demands include a ban on Maharashtra Ekikarana Samiti and better regional development. Despite the call for the bandh, services like BMTC buses and autos were functioning as usual during the early hours.
A state-wide bandh is in action in Karnataka, on Saturday, 22 March, with 3,000 pro-Kannada organisations supporting it. The bandh is expected to be observed from 6 am to 6 pm.
While the bandh is being held primarily in response to an alleged assault on bus conductor Mahadev near Sulebhavi-Balekundri in Belagavi after he asked a passenger to speak in Kannada, the organisations who called the bandh have put forward other conditions too.
Despite the call for the bandh, services like BMTC buses and autos were functioning as usual during the early hours. Govinda C, an auto driver speaking to South First said, “It becomes difficult to manage our daily expenses if we don’t work. Hence most of the auto drivers are working today. Due to bandh since morning, I haven’t had a single passenger from Ullala to Vijay Nagar. ”
However, according to an IANS report, Maharashtra transport buses are not entering Karnataka and are operating only up to the border. As a precaution, the police sent all buses back.
Further, in Belgaum, security has been tightened as pro-Kannada activists plan to stage protests. Police and Home Guards personnel have been deployed to maintain order.
The Times of India reported, that B Dayananda, the Bengaluru city police commissioner, warned that anyone found coercing people into taking part in the 6 am to 6 pm bandh will face legal action. He said 60 KSRP platoons, 1,200 home guards and the entire civil and traffic police force will be on duty.
“If any untoward incidents happen or if any damage occurs to public or private property, the bandh organisers will have to bear the expenses, according to the law,” Dayananda cautioned.
The demands of the organisations calling for bandh include:
The bandh is, however, expected to impact tenth-standard students who are appearing for the exams on Saturday.
Shashikumar D, secretary of Associated Management of English Medium Schools in Karnataka, had earlier said, “We have decided to go ahead with the exams for schools because disruption would be troublesome to parents as well as children.”
(Edited by Sumavarsha, with inputs from Rashmi Patil)