Eight dead, three missing after group collecting mussel shells swept away in Uttara Kannada
Authorities have so far recovered eight bodies, while three women were rescued from the water. The deceased are believed to have all belonged to the same family.
Published May 24, 2026 | 8:27 PM ⚊ Updated May 24, 2026 | 8:27 PM
Police personnel, Coastal Security Police teams, local fishermen and volunteers launched extensive rescue and search operations using boats.
Synopsis: Eight people died and three others remain missing after a group collecting freshwater mussel shells was swept away by strong currents in the swollen Venkatapura river in Bhatkal taluk of Uttara Kannada district on Sunday, 24 May. Police said heavy overnight rain caused a sudden rise in water levels, catching the group unaware. Chief Minister Siddaramaiah and Prime Minister Narendra Modi expressed grief over the incident and announced financial assistance for the victims’ families and the injured.
Eight people died and three are missing after a group of 14 collecting ‘kappe chippu’ (freshwater mussel shells) in the swollen Venkatapura river was swept away by strong currents in Bhatkal taluk of Uttara Kannada district on Sunday, 24 May.
Three women were rescued. The deceased are believed to have all belonged to the same family.
Heavy rainfall the previous night had caused the river to swell, leading to a sudden rise in water levels and strong currents. Uttara Kannada Superintendent of Police Deepan MN said the group was caught unaware by the sudden inflow.
“The water level suddenly increased due to heavy inflow, and eight people were swept away. Three are in serious condition and have been shifted to Manipal Hospital for treatment. Three others are still missing, and search operations are currently underway to trace them,” he said, speaking to IANS.
Police personnel, Coastal Security Police teams, local fishermen and volunteers launched extensive rescue and search operations using boats. Authorities have so far recovered eight bodies, while three women were rescued from the water.
Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah and Prime Minister Narendra Modi have both announced ex gratia relief for the victims’ families. Announcing compensation of ₹5 lakh each to the families of those who died in the tragedy, Siddaramaiah said the State government would bear the medical expenses of the injured.
“Hearing the news that eight members of a single family, who had gone to collect black clams on the Tatthehakalu beach near Bhatkal in Uttara Kannada district, drowned and lost their lives has left me deeply distressed. I pray that the departed souls find eternal peace. This is an extremely tragic and painful incident,” he wrote in a post on X.
“There is also information that some others are missing in this accident, and an intensive search is underway for them. Let us all pray to God that those who are missing return alive and reunite with their loved ones.”
ರಾಜ್ಯದ ಜನರ ಆಶೀರ್ವಾದದೊಂದಿಗೆ ನಾವು ಅಧಿಕಾರಕ್ಕೆ ಬಂದು ಮೂರು ವರ್ಷಗಳು ಪೂರೈಸಿರುವ ಈ ಸಾರ್ಥಕ ಸಂದರ್ಭದಲ್ಲಿ ನಮ್ಮ ಸರ್ಕಾರದ ಎಲ್ಲಾ ಸಾಧನೆಗಳ ಶ್ರೇಯವನ್ನು ಪ್ರತಿಯೊಬ್ಬ ಕನ್ನಡಿಗನಿಗೂ ಅರ್ಪಿಸುತ್ತಿದ್ದೇವೆ.
ಚುನಾವಣಾ ಪೂರ್ವದಲ್ಲಿ ರಾಜ್ಯದ ಜನತೆಗೆ ನೀಡಿದ ಪ್ರತಿ ಮಾತಿಗೂ ಬದ್ಧರಾಗಿ ನಡೆಯುವ ಮೂಲಕ ನುಡಿದಂತೆ ನಡೆದ ಹೆಮ್ಮೆ ನಮಗಿದೆ.… pic.twitter.com/pqy6WcGxAi
Deputy Chief Minister DK Shivakumar also expressed grief over the incident.
“I am deeply shocked to hear the news that eight people who had gone to collect mussels in the Netravati River at Tatthehakalu in Bhatkal taluk of Uttara Kannada district have drowned and died. District in-charge Minister Mankala Vaidya has informed me about this tragedy, and I have instructed him to visit the spot. Necessary rescue operations and appropriate measures have already been undertaken,” he said in a post on X.
Similarly, Prime Minister Narendra Modi conveyed his condolences over the deaths.
“Deeply pained to hear about a mishap in Karwar district, Karnataka. My condolences to those who have lost their loved ones. May the injured recover at the earliest. An ex gratia of ₹2 lakh from PMNRF would be given to the next of kin of each deceased. The injured would be given ₹50,000,” he wrote in a post on X.