Rape case: Malayalam actor Bala supports Nivin Pauly

Bala lauded Nivin Pauly for showing courage in the face of difficulty, by addressing the media immediately after the case was filed.

Published Sep 04, 2024 | 5:25 PMUpdated Sep 04, 2024 | 5:25 PM

Rape case: Malayalam actor Bala supports Nivin Pauly

Malayalam hero Nivin Pauly, who has been booked in a rape case, received support from actor Bala.

In a video shared on his Facebook handle, Bala mentioned that Nivin Pauly’s statements while addressing the media on Tuesday, 3 September, renewed his faith in him. He lauded the actor for showing courage in the face of difficulty.

“Nivin Pauly openly spoke to the media soon after the allegations were made and did not run away. We all should respect him for that. He mentioned that he was alone in this fight. But I would like to convey to him that we all are with him,” he added.

In the video, Bala pointed out that the complainant must prove her allegations. “If there is no truth in the woman’s complaint, she will have to face the consequences. I hope she is aware of the law.”

Meanwhile, a few industry insiders South First spoke with opined that there is a high chance the rape charges filed against Nivin Pauly will turn out to be fake.

Some felt that this could be an attempt to take advantage of the current situation, especially the ongoing turmoil in Malayalam cinema after the release of the Justice Hema Committee Report.

“The woman had complained earlier too. But the police found the complaint to be false. And now, she told the media that she filed a complaint again after the Justice Hema Committee Report was released,” they observed.

Related: Booked on rape charges, Nivin Pauly says he will prove his ‘innocence’

Allegations baseless: Nivin Pauly

A rape case was filed on 3 September against actor Nivin Pauly by a woman, alleging that he sexually abused her at a Dubai hotel last year under the pretext of promising her a role in films.

The woman also told multiple news channels that Nivin Pauly and his gang blackmailed her after sexually assaulting her in Dubai for many days.

However, Nivin Pauly denied these allegations at a press meet, saying he hadn’t even seen the woman. He announced that he would fight to “legally prove his innocence” and that he would address the media again if needed. He also asserted that he won’t hide.

After the redacted version of the Justice Hema Committee Report was made public, there have been many allegations of sexual harassment against several actors and filmmakers in the Malayalam industry. Following this, the Kerala government set up a special investigation team to look into these allegations.

Meanwhile, the Women in Cinema Collective (WCC) stated that it must lead discussions in the right direction based on the findings in the Justice Hema Committee Report.

The WCC also stated that it would meet with Kerala Chief Minister Pinaryi Vijayan again to seek further action on the report and urge the government to ensure that this will not happen again.

(Edited by Y Krishna Jyothi)

Also Read: Radikaa Sarathkumar calls for a panel to probe exploitation in Tamil cinema

Follow us