She also drew the government's attention to various forms of abuse in the Malayalam film industry, including the exploitation of minors.
Published Aug 22, 2024 | 12:13 PM ⚊ Updated Aug 22, 2024 | 12:13 PM
Parvathy Thiruvothu calls for timely action on the Justice Hema Committee Report. (X)
Malayalam actor Parvathy Thiruvothu has urged the Kerala government to take immediate action in response to the Justice Hema Committee Report, which highlighted serious issues within the Malayalam film industry.
The report, which was filed in 2019 but has not been fully disclosed, sheds light on various forms of abuse, including the exploitation of minors.
Parvathy Thiruvothu emphasised the importance of timely government intervention, particularly concerning the alleged cases of abuse involving minors, as mentioned in the report. “If the government fails to act, it could have damaging consequences,” she noted.
The award-winning actor also pointed out that the public is closely watching the Kerala government’s response. She expressed concern that while some in the industry may choose to remain silent, the government cannot afford to do the same.
A member of the Women in Cinema Collective (WCC), Parvathy Thiruvothu stated that they cannot wait another four-and-a-half years for the government to implement corrective measures.
Earlier this week, Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan said the state police could not take suo moto action on the sexual assault and workplace harassment cases cited in the report unless the survivors filed formal complaints.
In response, Parvathy Thiruvothu urged the government to investigate why the report distinguishes between “women” and “girls” in its references. She suggested that this distinction may indicate serious issues that require suo moto cognisance under the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act.
“Sadly, the WCC has no data regarding the crimes under the POCSO Act, as allegedly mentioned in the Justice Hema Committee Report.”
The actor also sought clarity regarding the government’s proposed conclave to discuss the issues affecting the Malayalam film industry. She questioned the purpose of the conclave. “Will it be a platform shared by both survivors and perpetrators? Will it have mere discussions about the necessary changes in workplace practices?”
Further, Parvathy Thiruvothu highlighted the existence of powerful groups within the industry, as mentioned in the Justice Hema Committee Report. She felt that it wouldn’t be possible to fight against these groups without naming individuals.
She also shared her experiences. “Despite being part of successful films like Take Off (2017) and Uyare (2019), I’ve received fewer offers due to my association with the WCC. However, I remain committed to the WCC’s cause and am not bothered by the reduced number of film opportunities.”
In an interview with The News Minute, Parvathy Thiruvothu recounted an instance when she resigned from the Association of Malayalam Movie Artists (AMMA). She said supporting actors were too afraid to speak out against the industry’s “mafia”.
“This fear is not limited to women. Men too hesitate to speak up. Many women have lost work due to their association with the WCC,” she recalled.
Despite the challenges, Parvathy Thiruvothu acknowledged a positive change in the atmosphere on film sets in recent years. However, she doubted if women who spoke up would go to the police, citing a lack of trust in the system.
She emphasised that the government must take concrete steps to restore trust and ensure justice for those affected.
The Justice Hema Committee Report revealed extreme discrimination against women in the Malayalam film industry, including the widespread existence of the casting couch.
It stated that women frequently feel unsafe going to work alone and that sexual demands are often linked to job opportunities.
The Committee also noted that this exploitation sets the film industry apart from other professions, where skills and interviews are typically sufficient for securing employment.
The Justice Hema Committee was formed to investigate issues of sexual harassment and gender inequality in Malayalam cinema following the 2017 actress assault case involving actor Dileep. Although the report was filed in 2019, the government has yet to release its full details, citing concerns over sensitive information.
(Edited by Y Krishna Jyothi)