Telangana phone tapping case: Former SIB chief Prabhakar Rao refuses to return to India just yet, writes to IO

Informing of the delay in returning to India, Prabhakar Rao said, his health deteriorated further due to the stress he had been subjected to because of the case.

BySouth First Desk

Published Jul 11, 2024 | 10:42 AM Updated Jul 11, 2024 | 10:42 AM

Telangana Phone tapping case during BRS regime

Former SIB chief and one of the accused in the phone-tapping case— T Prabhakar Rao, who was supposed to return to India on 26 June, 2024, in a letter dated 23 June, 2024, wrote to the investigating officers informing them of his delay in returning due to his ill health.

Prabhakar Rao also reiterated that he has no role in the alleged phone tapping, ” I have not committed nor directed anyone to commit any illegal acts or omissions while discharging my duties as a police officer at any time including as chief of SIB.”

In a letter being circulated online, the former SIB chief said that his health deteriorated further due to the stress he had been subjected to because of the case.

“False allegations against me with constant deliberate leaks to media (were made), thereby assassinating my character and reputation even prior to making me as an accused in this case.”

In March, a Look Out Circular (LOC) had been issued against Prabhakar Rao.

Also Read: Telangana snooping case: Leaked document says accused cops targeted politicians, talked via encrypted apps

‘Will provide any exclusive information’

Rao further said, that apart from suffering from malignant cancer, he has now developed high blood pressure and cardiac and renal issues. He added that the doctors advised him not to travel, and is now seeking consultations for the health issues in the USA.

Speaking of the investigation, he said, “While assuring to cooperate and answer all queries in person as soon as my health improves and upon my return to India, I am prepared to assist in the investigation in any kind of questioning over video conferencing or teleconferencing till the time I return to India.”

Assuring that he is willing to provide any information exclusive to his knowledge and possession through email, Rao noted, “I don’t think that my non-appearance before the IO at an earlier point of time will hamper the investigation in any way as it is already evident from the outcome of the investigation and filing of the chargesheet.”

Meanwhile, the Nampally Court on Wednesday, 10 July, has once again returned the chargesheet filed by the police.

According to reports, it was due to the government not giving its consent to prosecute some of the accused who are police officers.

Previously the chargesheet was returned due to errors in the document.

Also Read: Telangana phone-tapping case: Ex-DCP, police officer interrogated

Modus operandi

In the affidavit submitted in the High Court on Wednesday, 3 July, which is hearing the case on its own on the phone tapping, the city police said former SIB chief T Prabhakar Rao (who is absconding) formed an informal team – “Special Operations Team” – within the SIB for carrying out certain specific tasks related to political surveillance to benefit the then ruling political party and its leaders.

Suspended DSP D Praneeth Kumar alias Praneeth Rao of SIB and his team developed profiles of hundreds of people, and intercepted hundreds of phone calls of several persons, it said.

The accused made requests to telecom service providers for CDRs, IPDRs and interception requests in violation of the Indian Telegraph Act and IT Act, and obtained CDRs and IPDRs, and thereafter on anticipating the change in government, destructed all the evidence of their illegal activities, it said.

The accused had obtained CDR and IPDR of phone numbers of the High Court judge and his wife, it said, adding that they obtained CDRs for a period of one year from 10 September, 2022 to 9 September, 2023 and the IPDR obtained was from 8 August to 7 September 2023.

(Edited by Sumavarsha Kandula)

(South First is now on WhatsApp and Telegram)