Telangana Minister Konda Surekha forced to withdraw disparaging remarks as Tollywood unites against her

Addressing Samantha, Konda Surekha wrote on X: "The way you have grown in the industry with your own power is not only admirable but also inspirational."

Published Oct 03, 2024 | 1:28 PMUpdated Oct 03, 2024 | 3:31 PM

Konda Surekha

Telangana Minister for Forest and Environment, and Endowments Konda Surekha on Thursday, 3 October, withdrew her statements against actor Samantha Ruth Prabhu, and the Akkineni family, and apologised to them.

However, Konda Surekha defended her remarks, stating that, she made the said comments against former minister and BRS working president KTR, who humiliated her.

Speaking to the press on Thursday, Konda Surekha said, “Yesterday, while speaking at Gandhi Bhavan, I spoke about KTR and his attitude towards women. He previously instigated me, and in response to that, overcome by emotions, I criticised KTR, and in the process spoke about a certain family.”

“I have no hard feelings and hatred towards anyone from that family, later, when I saw the tweet of the actor, I realised my mistake. I hurt them regarding the same issue, due to which I was hurt. No one should be hurt and humiliated the way I was, with the same intention, yesterday night, I unconditionally withdrew the statements.”

Addressing Samantha, Konda Surekha wrote on X: “The way you have grown in the industry with your own power is not only admirable but also inspirational.”

‘KTR should apologise’ 

Reiterating her stance on KTR, she said, “In the case of KTR, I’m not backing down, he has to apologise to me. After humiliating me, he is asking for an apology.” KTR even slapped a defamation notice on her on Wednesday, 2 October.

The face-off between Surekha and the BRS has been going on for the last few days after a picture was put out allegedly by the BRS activists on social media in which BJP MP M Raghuanandan Rao was seen garlanding her. The post had suggestive comments which hurt Surekha deeply.

At a press conference at Gandhi Bhavan a couple of days ago, Surekha broke down over the social media trolling against her. Raghunandan Rao decried the post and said he would fight alongside her as her brother. However, BRS leader T Harish Rao condemned the post.

Also Read: Not done: Minister Surekha has to pay for her crass comments

Backlash on comments

Konda Surekha’s comments caused an uproar from film actors and others alike.

Telangana IAS officer Smita Sabharwal expressed shock at the comments of the minister. Taking to X, she wrote: “Was shocked to see the not so honourable statement by Konda Surekha, a sitting Minister. Everything cannot be for politics. Let us build a healthy discourse in public life.”

Meanwhile, Amala Akkineni too strongly condemned the remarks against the family.

She wrote, “Shocked to hear a woman minister turn into a demon, conjuring evil fictions allegations, preying on decent citizens as fuel for a political war. Madam Minister, do you rely and believe people with no decency to feed you utterly scandalous stories about my husband without an iota of shame or truth? This is really shameful. If leaders lower themselves into the gutter and behave like criminals, what will happen to our country?”

Further tagging Rahul and Priyanka Gandhi, Amala demanded, “Mr Rahul Gandhiji, if you believe in human decency, please restrain your politicians and make your minister retract her venomous statements with an apology to my family. Protect the citizens of this country.”

#FilmIndustryWillNotTolerate

Meanwhile, the hashtag #FilmIndustryWillNotTolerate started trending on X, with many actors and directors condemning the comments.

MAA (Movie Artists Association) headed by actor Manchu Vishnu released a statement condemning Surekha’s statements.

A part of the statement read: “As artists, we are no strangers to public attention, but our families are private, and they deserve the same respect and protection as any other family. Just as no one would appreciate their own loved ones being targeted or their personal lives dragged into baseless allegations, we too demand for the same dignity to be extended to us.”

Actor Junior NTR termed the minister’s comment “reckless behaviour”. “Konda Surekha garu, dragging personal lives into politics is a new low. Public figures, especially those in responsible positions like you, must maintain dignity and respect for privacy,” he said on X. He used the hashtag, #FilmIndustryWillNotTolerate.

Actor Chiranjeevi too condemned the remarks made by Minister Konda Surekha. Demanding the minister to withdraw the remarks, the actor wrote on X: “No one should stoop to this level for scoring political points by dragging unconnected people and more so women into their political slugfest and make distasteful fictional allegations.”

Chiranjeevi too used the hashtag #FilmIndustryWillNotTolerate. 

Actor Nani criticising the minister stated, “When your words can be so irresponsible it’s stupid of us to expect that you will have any responsibility for your people.”

Actor Allu Arjun too rallied behind the hashtag, stating, “Such irresponsible actions should not be considered normal.”

‘Targetting a woman unacceptable’

Varun Tej noted, “Targeting a family, especially speaking ill of a woman, is unacceptable.”

While Sudheer Babu noted: “Your vile and misogynistic comments are appalling.”

Director Venu Udugula also called out the minister. He noted, “Power is a responsibility, not a stage for cheap tactics. Minister #KondaSurekha’s reckless remarks have pulled unrelated individuals into controversy. If her claims were true, why not take legal action against KTR? Justice requires accountability, not drama. Shame on you.”

Surekha’s comments

The minister held Rama Rao responsible for the divorce of Naga Chaitanya and Samantha Ruth Prabhu. Surekha claimed that KTR tapped the actor couple’s phone calls, eventually leading to their divorce.

“KTR is the reason many female actors are getting married and leaving the industry. He is addicted to drugs and got them (female actors) addicted as well. He held rave parties and blackmailed them,” she said.

The minister’s comments forced the divorced persons to speak out in public about the incident they had left behind three years ago.

In a statement, Naga Chaitanya said their divorce was a mutual decision “made in peace, owing to our different life goals and in the interest of moving forward with respect and dignity as two mature adults”.

Samantha too stated, “My divorce was with mutual consent and amicable with no political conspiracy involved. Could you please keep my name out of political battles? I have always remained non-political and wish to continue doing so.”

Related: Konda Surekha’s ‘derogatory’ remarks on KTR, Telugu actors draw backlash

(Edited by Sumavarsha Kandula)

Follow us