Setback to KTR: Telangana High Court dismisses his quash petition in Formula E Race case

The high court's order has changed the dimension of the case, with ACB raring to take action against him while the BRS leader is trying to stonewall all its moves at any cost.

Published Jan 07, 2025 | 11:59 AMUpdated Jan 07, 2025 | 3:39 PM

KTR summoned by ACB in Formula E case, calls It political vendetta

In a major setback to BRS working president KT Rama Rao, the Telangana High Court on Tuesday, 7 January, dismissed his petition seeking quashing of the FIR issued by the Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB) accusing him of his involvement in irregularities in organising the Formula E Race in Hyderabad.

The high court, which reserved its order on 31 December after hearing arguments by the petitioner and the ACB, delivered its judgement, which has come as a shot in the arm for the state’s probe agency.

The high court’s order has changed the dimension of the case, with ACB raring to take action against him while the BRS leader, popularly known as KTR, is trying to stonewall all its moves at any cost.

Following the order, KTR said in a post on X that he believed in the judiciary and that justice would prevail.

Also Read: Advocate disallowed, KTR leaves ACB office

KTR to approach Supreme Court

KTR, who figures as the accused number one in the case, is accused of having facilitated payment of ₹46 crore (excluding taxes) in foreign exchange to London-based Formula E Operations in October 2023, for the conduct of the second edition (season 10) of the race in Hyderabad in February 2024 which, anyway, did not take place.

After the high court delivered its judgement, KTR is understood to have discussed its implications and is reportedly contemplating moving the Supreme Court against the order.

Senior Supreme Court advocate Siddhartha Dave, appearing for KTR in the high court, maintained that the sections under which his client had been booked did not apply to him.

The ACB could not establish any corruption angle in the case, he said and pointed out that KTR had not benefited personally from the deal in any way.

“There was no corruption element in the case,” he pointed out.

Also Read: Former HMDA CE BLN Reddy skips ED summons in Formula E Race case

‘Denies involvement of KTR’

The senior advocate said that the then municipal administration principal secretary and Formula E Operations were the ones who signed the agreement.

He added that it was remiss of the ACB to include KTR’s name in the FIR, even though was clean and was not a beneficiary of the money paid out to Formula E operations. Advocate General (AG) A Sudarshan Reddy, appearing for the ACB, said that payment was made to Formula E Operations even before signing an agreement.

Admitting that the case was still in the early stages, he hoped that the ACB would be able to ferret out the truth and the extent of involvement of the accused in the case as the investigation progressed.

The AG submitted to the court that the ACB had obtained prior consent from the Telangana Governor to register the case against KTR in the case. He argued that KTR as minister of the Municipal Administration Department had to take responsibility as officers work under his supervision.

He argued that KTR had given a go-by to all rules in force that govern the payment of money in foreign exchange to a company based out of London.

‘Comeback will be stronger’

Later in the day, KTR wrote on X that his comeback would be stronger than the setback he is currently facing.

“Mark my words, Our comeback will be stronger than this setback,” he wrote on X.

“Your lies won’t shatter me. Your words won’t diminish me. Your actions won’t obscure my vision. This cacophony won’t silence me! Today’s obstacles will give way to tomorrow’s triumph. Truth will shine brighter with time!” KTR said.

“I respect our judiciary, and my unwavering belief that justice will prevail. My fight for truth continues, and soon, the world will also witness it,” he added.

(Edited by Muhammed Fazil.)

Follow us