The poll panel withdrew its consent after the Congress complained that the ruling party had violated the model code of conduct.
Published Nov 27, 2023 | 11:02 AM ⚊ Updated Nov 27, 2023 | 11:02 AM
Finance and Health Minister T Harish Rao reportedly violated the code of conduct by publicising the release of the Rythu Bandhu funds.(File pic/X)
In a setback to the ruling BRS a few days ahead of the elections to the Telangana Assembly, the Election Commission of India (ECI) has withdrawn the consent it gave to the state government to disburse the Rythu Bandhu assistance to farmers.
In an official communication, the ECI has asked the chief electoral officer (CEO) of Telangana to convey to the state government before 3 pm on Monday, 27 November, that its “no objection” to releasing the Rythu Bandhu money stood withdrawn till the Model Code of Conduct (MCC) is in force in the state.
The ECI said in its letter that the consent was being withdrawn as the state government had violated the MCC in force that governs the transfer of financial assistance of the ongoing schemes.
The ECI directive appeared to have been based on a complaint the Congress lodged with the poll body, saying that despite the latter’s instructions that there should not be any announcement of depositing money into the farmers’ accounts, the government had acted contrary to the diktat.
The Opposition party had said the release of the Rythu Bandhu money was being used as a tool to influence the voters.
The ECI in its communication to the CEO said that Finance and Health Minister T Harish Rao, who is also a candidate in Siddipet, had violated the code of conduct by publicising the release of the Rythu Bandhu funds, which amounted to disturbing the level playing field in the elections.
The commission said that it had been informed by the CEO that Harish Rao made statements regarding the disbursement of the Rythu Bandhu scheme by a particular time before the date of polling, which was widely reported in the media on 26 November.
The commission said that it had consented to the release of the assistance under several conditions, including that no new beneficiaries should be added to the list, no publicity should be given, no public functions should be orgnanised, no political functionary will be involved in the process of disbursement and as far as possible direct electronic transfer of cash compensation should be made to the accounts of the farmers, and that there should not be distribution of any cheques.
The commission also noted that the rabi installments of the Rythu Bandhu assistance were disbursed by the state during the October-January period during the past five years.
It noted that there was neither any fixed date of disbursement prescribed in the scheme nor any special significance of disbursement in November was assigned in design or performance of the scheme.
The commission recalled that the state government had informed that disbursement of the assistance was proposed from 24 November in full compliance with the conditions laid down in the MCC and based on the assurance given by the state government, the ECI said it conveyed that it had no objection for the release of funds even during the silent period and poll day.