Following the rare notification under Section 163, concerns arose that police might dampen Deepavali celebrations. However, the police commissioner clarified that the prohibitory orders were solely for maintaining law and order, not related to the festival
Published Oct 28, 2024 | 10:12 PM ⚊ Updated Oct 28, 2024 | 10:12 PM
Hyderabad Police commissioner allays fears over curbs on Diwali celebrations
Hyderabad Police Commissioner CV Anand on Monday, 28 October, cleared apprehensions of possible curbs on Deepavali celebrations in view of the imposition of prohibitory orders under section 163 of BNSS (Section 144 CrPC) in the city for a month beginning at 6 p.m. 27 October till 6 p.m. 28 November.
After the notification was issued under section 163, which is rare, people were worried over the possibility of the police department throwing a wet blanket on Deepavali celebrations.
But the police commissioner, in a message on X, said that the prohibitory orders were meant for maintenance of law and order and that they had nothing to do with Deepavali festival celebrations.
He said: “This is just to clarify that this notification has nothing to do with Deepavali celebrations. There were some groups of people who were planning various agitations, surprise raids on secretariat, CM’s residence, DGP’s office, Raj Bhavan etc. We have intelligence about it and this notification is to give legal backing to any police action in arresting such elements or detaining them…”
This is just to clarify that this notification has nothing to do with the Deepawali festival celebrations. There are some other groups of people who are planning various types of agitations , surprise raids on secretariat , CMs residence , DGP office ,Rajbhavan etc .We have… https://t.co/wnjc1qNuqw
— CV Anand IPS (@CVAnandIPS) October 28, 2024
But the fact of the matter was that the orders were issued to foil the Chalo Secretariat Call given by the TG Special Police demanding reforms in the police department, lack of which, they alleged, had reduced them into bonded-labourers in the department itself.
The police top brass, who took serious exception to the special policemen staging agitations in uniform, had decided to act tough and suspended 39 special police constables. The police department followed it up with dismissal from service of 10 special policemen. They comprised six constables from 17th Battalion, Sircilla, two from 12th Battalion, Anneparthy, one each from 3rd and 6th battalions of Ibrahimpatnam and Bhadradri Kothagudem.
In a late night press release on Sunday, the police department said that the 10 constables were dismissed from service as they, despite repeated warnings and opportunities to refrain from disruptive behaviour, engaged in actions that severely undermined Battalion discipline, threatened operational cohesion and tarnished the image of the force. Consequently their dismissal has been ordered under Article 311 (2) (B) of the Constitution of India.
The dismissed personnel allegedly incited unrest within the battalions, leading to a detrimental impact on the morale and efficiency. Their actions represented deterioration of conduct expected from government services, including integrity, devotion to duty and adherence to rules that prevent behaviour likely to bring disgrace to the forces as well as description of morale among the force. Such conduct disrupts the internal discipline necessary for TGSP to fulfil its mission of maintaining peace and security across Telangana, the press release said.
Earlier in the day on Monday, 28 October, the chief security officer of Dr BR Ambedkar TG Secretariat, in a circular, issued a statement, cautioning the police who provide security to the secretariat, that prohibitory orders were in force under section 144 within 2 km from the state secretariat.
He warned the policemen that they are liable to face action if they took part in the dharnas, rasta rokos, laying siege to the secretariat that are proposed. The chief security officer advised the policemen to inform their families, relatives, friends and colleagues, against participating in such demonstrations.
The chief security officer further asked those who are already in the WhatsApp groups as admins or members to exit immediately as the groups are being used as a platform to incite the special police to organise demonstrations against the police department. He also made it clear that no one from the families of the special police should take part in dharnas and if they do they would be in serious trouble, the circular said.
(Edited by Ananya Rao)