Doctors remain hopeful but cautious about the 9-year-old's recovery, as neurological healing can be slow and unpredictable. His progress is expected to be monitored closely.
Published Mar 11, 2025 | 11:21 AM ⚊ Updated Mar 11, 2025 | 11:21 AM
Chaos unfolded at Hyderabad’s Sandhya Theatre during the premiere of Pushpa 2 following actor Allu Arjun’s arrival.
Synopsis: Three months after a stampede at a Hyderabad theatre, 9-year-old Sri Tej, who lost his mother and suffered brain damage, shows limited improvement. While stable, he remains unable to recognize family or respond to commands. Doctors continue treatment with physiotherapy and feeding assistance. The authorities are investigating the incident.
More than three months after losing his mother and suffering critical injuries in a theatre stampede in Hyderabad during the Pushpa 2: The Rule premier show, nine-year-old Sri Tej is neurologically not showing any further improvement.
Despite showing some improvement, Sritej is still unable to recognize his family members or respond to simple verbal commands, indicating no significant progress in his cognitive functions, doctors at KIMS Cuddles, Secunderabad, said in a statement on Monday, 10 March.
The tragedy struck Sri Tej’s family on 4 December 2024, when he, along with his parents and younger sister visited Sandhya 70 MM theatre at RTC X roads, in Hyderabad to watch Allu Arjun’s film. In the stampede that occurred when Allu Arjun visited the theatre, his mother, 39-year-old Revathi died and he was critically injured.
Sri Tej suffered severe injuries, including brain damage due to oxygen deprivation during the stampede. Initially in a coma and on ventilator support, he has shown some signs of improvement, such as opening his eyes and responding to stimuli. However, his neurological condition remains critical, and recovery is expected to be prolonged.
“Sri Tej who is still in hospital, is maintaining stable vital parameters on his own without any oxygen or ventilatory support,” said doctors Dr Chetan R Mundada and Dr Vishnu Tej Pudi at the KIMS Cuddles, Secundrabad said in a statement on Monday.
The boy needed ventilatory assistance for a brief period of 1-2 days in the last month, the doctors said. To optimise his nutrition, he had undergone an Endoscopic Gastrostomy procedure 10 days ago wherein he can be nourished directly to the stomach via a wider tube, they said.
The statement further noted that the child continues to experience intermittent dystonia, a condition causing involuntary muscle movements, particularly in his upper body. Physiotherapy and rehabilitation efforts are ongoing to help him manage these symptoms.
“He has intermittent dystonia with increased movements to lift the upper torso, and he is receiving physiotherapy and rehabilitation support for the same,” the doctors said, adding that he is tolerating feeds via the Gastrostomy tube well.
Doctors remain hopeful but cautious about his recovery, as neurological healing can be slow and unpredictable. His progress is expected to be monitored closely.
Actor Allu Arjun and the film’s team have provided financial assistance of ₹2 crore to the family. The Hyderabad police have arrested Sandhya Theatre officials as well as Allu Arjun for negligence in crowd control and registered cases against them under various legal sections. The government has pledged full support for the child’s medical treatment.
(Edited by Sumavarsha, with inputs from Sumit Jha)