Pre-dawn arrest, treatment of women journalists by Telangana police raises questions

The arrests stem from a complaint filed by a Congress worker against Pulse News for allegedly circulating a video featuring an elderly man using expletives against Chief Minister Revanth Reddy and Congress party.

Published Mar 12, 2025 | 8:32 PMUpdated Mar 12, 2025 | 8:32 PM

Revathi and Tanvi were arrested at about 5 am for allegedly sharing derogatory comments against the CM

Synopsis: Two women journalists from Pulse News were arrested by the Hyderabad police just hours before the Telangana Assembly’s Budget Session, accused of defaming the Congress-led state government and Chief Minister Revanth Reddy. Their arrests, along with the police raid on Pulse News’ office, have sparked widespread condemnation.

Two women journalists from Pulse News were arrested by Hyderabad police hours before the Telangana Assembly’s Budget Session began on Wednesday, 12 March, on allegations of defaming the Congress-led state government and Chief Minister Ravanth Reddy.

The pre-dawn arrest sparked condemnation from Opposition parties, the Bharat Rashtra Samithi (BRS) and the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP). The Editors Guild of India, similarly, called for the upholding of due process and the principles of free expression and justice.

Pulse News CEO Pogadadanda Revathi was detained from her residence. Before her arrest, Revathi posted a video around 5.15am alleging political motives behind her imminent arrest.

“I woke up about 30 minutes ago. The time is about 5.15 now. The police showed up half an hour ago,” she said. “The police might pick me up and take me. One thing is clear – Revanth Reddy wants to silence or threaten me or put pressure on my family.”

Pulse News reporter Bandi Sandhya, also known as Tanvi Yadav, was arrested from her home in Kottur, Mahbubnagar.

Also Read: Telangana police action on journalist Revathi draws political fire

The charges

The arrests stem from a case filed by a Congress worker against Pulse News for allegedly circulating a video featuring Tanvi and an elderly man using expletives against Chief Minister Revanth Reddy and the Congress government.

The case was registered based on a complaint from the Congress social media secretary on 10 March.

During a press conference at the Central Crimes Police Station in Basheerbagh, deputy commissioner of police Dara Kavitha and additional commissioner Vishwa Prasad said that Revathi had previously been involved in other cases, including one under the SC/ST Prevention of Atrocities Act at Banjara Hills Police Station in 2019.

More recently in 2024, another case was registered against her at the LB Nagar Police Station for allegedly making false allegations against the Telangana State Power Distribution Company Limited.

Meanwhile, police also raided the Pulse News office in Melange Towers, seizing multiple electronic devices including two laptops, seven CPUs, two hard disks, a microphone, and a wireless router.

Both journalists were presented before a magistrate. The Nampally court has placed both journalists under 14-day judicial remand while police continue gathering evidence to substantiate their claims.

Police also said that the elderly man seen in the video will face legal consequences.

Also Read: AICC In-charges change rapidly but Telangana Congress remains a divided house

Political nexus allegations

Additional Commissioner Vishwa Prasad claimed they have uncovered a ‘nexus’ between Pulse News and the opposition BRS.

“The preliminary investigation has established that there is a nexus between a political party and Pulse News,” Vishwa Prasad stated, confirming the party in question was BRS.

Police claimed that on behalf of the BRS, Pulse News reporters offered financial incentives to unsuspecting individuals, coercing them into making vulgar statements on camera, targeting the Congress government and Chief Minister Revanth Reddy.

“We’ve also established that reporters gave financial incentives to gullible, innocent people to make them say such vulgar things,” Prasad said.

Authorities further alleged that Revathi and Pulse News had been receiving financial benefits from BRS in exchange for their content.

“The video in question was shot at Telangana Bhavan in Banjara Hills. It was recorded in February but was deliberately published on 10 March, just two days before the Assembly session began,” Prasad said.

Also Read: KCR’s arrival stirs curiosity in assembly as Governor outlines vision for Telangana

Opposition condemns arrests

The arrests sparked widespread condemnation. Prominent BRS leaders including working president KT Rama Rao (KTR), former minister Harish Rao, and social media convener Krishank Manne took to X to express their outrage.

KTR, in particular, targeted Congress leader Rahul Gandhi, questioning whether this was the “Mohabbat ki Dukaan” (shop of love) that he often spoke about. “Last I checked, the Constitution of India that you hold regularly upholds Freedom of Speech, Mr. Gandhi,” he remarked sarcastically.

BJP’s Nizamabad MP Aravind Dharmapuri also condemned the incident, further fueling the political debate around press freedom and free speech in Telangana.

In a statement, the Editors Guild of India expressed “grave concerns” over the arrests and urged the Telangana government to ensure that any action taken against journalists follows due process and upholds the principles of free expression and justice.

“The arrest of a journalist – particularly in a pre-dawn operation-raises serious concerns about the use of police force in such matters. The Guild calls upon the Telangana government to safeguard Ms. Pogadadanda’s rights and personal safety,” the statement read.

“At the same time, it reminds journalists of the importance of fairness and responsibility in their reportage, ensuring that news is presented accurately and without malice. A free and responsible press is essential to a vibrant democracy.”

(Edited by Dese Gowda)

Follow us