‘Lay down arms or be wiped out’: Union Home Minister Amit Shah issues warning to Maoists

Shah accused the Congress of allowing terrorism to flourish during its decade in power before the BJP took office.

Published Jun 29, 2025 | 8:15 PMUpdated Jun 29, 2025 | 8:15 PM

‘Lay down arms or be wiped out’: Union Home Minister Amit Shah issues warning to Maoists

Synopsis: Union Home Minister Amit Shah on Sunday demanded Maoists to lay down their arms and surrender, or face being ‘wiped out”. He also criticised the ruling Congress and the BRS in Telangana, accusing both parties of corruption and misgovernance, and asserted that only a BJP-led ‘double engine’ government could ensure development in the State.

Union Home Minister Amit Shah has issued a stern warning to Maoists, demanding that they lay down arms and surrender, or face being “wiped out”.

Speaking at a farmers’ convention in Telangana’s Nizamabad on Sunday, 29 June, after inaugurating the office of a new Turmeric Board, Shah said the Union government had strengthened its resolve to eradicate extremist violence across the country.

He said the Narendra Modi-led government had adopted a zero-tolerance approach towards both extremism and terrorism, citing recent crackdowns under “Operation Kagar”, which, according to him, had led to the killing of between 140 to 200 Naxalites in 2025 alone.

“Since 2014, the BJP-led government has systematically worked to cleanse the country of terror and extremist elements, resulting in the surrender of 10,000 Maoists so far,” he stated.

“Maoists still have a chance to abandon their weapons, surrender, and join the mainstream. If they refuse, they will be wiped out by the end of March next year.”

The Turmeric Board is aimed at supporting turmeric farmers, particularly in Telangana, a major turmeric-growing region. It will focus on improving cultivation, processing, and export by providing better market access, fair pricing, and value-addition facilities.

Shah said the board would help farmers secure better prices for their produce and announced plans to set up Bharat Organics Ltd and Bharat Exports Ltd in Nizamabad.

“These will enable farmers to export turmeric to Europe, the US [United States], and other countries, fetching them handsome returns,” he said.

Also Read: Massacres on one side, mining carnivals on the other!

No tolerance for terror, says Shah

Shah accused the Congress of allowing terrorism to flourish during its decade in power before the BJP took office. He claimed that Pakistan-sponsored terrorists operated with impunity, striking Indian targets and escaping without consequence under the previous regime.

Amid cheers from the crowd, he said India had reached its limit and responded with a strike following the pogrom at Pahalgam.

Despite threats of nuclear retaliation from Pakistan, he said India “fearlessly” targeted and destroyed terrorist hideouts on Pakistani soil through Operation Sindoor.

He further said India had endured 40 years of Maoist violence, during which adivasis and policemen were killed. He criticised the Congress-led state government for opposing Operation Kagar and advocating talks with Maoist leaders.

“There will be no talks with Naxalites. They must drop their weapons and surrender,” he declared.

Shah also challenged the Congress to explain its stance to the families of those killed by the Maoists.

Also Read: Telangana BJP to appoint new president; Eatala Rajender, D Arvind, K Laxman, N Ramachander Rao in contention

‘Only BJP government can save Telangana’

Shah described the Congress government in Telangana as a shift “from the frying pan into the fire”, alleging that it had outdone the Bharat Rashtra Samithi (BRS) in misusing state resources.

“We know how BRS amassed millions through projects like Kaleshwaram, but Congress has proven even worse,” he said, suggesting collusion between the two parties.

“Why has the Congress government not filed any cases against BRS leaders despite their involvement in numerous scams?” he asked.

“When BRS was in power, it treated Telangana like an ATM. Now, Congress in Delhi is doing the same,” he said.

He asserted that only a “double engine sarkar” (BJP at both state and centre) could ensure development and the welfare of the people.

(Edited by Dese Gowda)

Follow us