Hyderabad court criticises Minister Konda Surekha over comments against KTR; orders removal of content

The court criticised the minister's comments as highly objectionable, noting the surprise over a state minister making such remarks. It took Surekha's comments seriously, directing her not to make any further defamatory statements about KTR.

Published Oct 25, 2024 | 12:59 PMUpdated Oct 25, 2024 | 12:59 PM

Telangana minister Konda Surekha and BRS Working President KTR.

The Hyderabad City Civil Court in Nampally warned Telangana Minister Konda Surekha over her comments about former minister and Sircilla MLA KT Rama Rao alias KTR last month. It asked the media to remove videos and articles related to her statements.

The BRS working president had filed a defamation case against Surekha who linked the divorce of a celebrity couple to him.

The order dated 23 October also prohibited Surekha from making any further defamatory remarks about Rama Rao.

Also Read: Job aspirants’ discontent in Telangana is a role reversal for Congress, BRS

The complaint

In a statement, the BRS leader said that Surekha dished out a tissue of lies about a phone tapping case with which he was in “no way concerned.”

“Her comments are highly defamatory in nature. She misused her office. She spoke out rank lies. As there is a possibility that people might think what she has said might be true, I have decided to file a defamation and criminal case against her if she does not tender a public apology within 24 hours,” he had said.

The criminal complaint was filed under section 222 R/W section 223 of the Bharatiya Nagarik Suraksha Sanhita (BNSS).

Criticising the minister’s comment, the court instructed print and electronic media, Google and Meta to remove Surekha’s comments from their platforms

In the defamation case filed by KTR, he sought a ₹100 crore compensation for defaming him.

‘Highly objectionable’

The court criticised the minister’s comments as highly objectionable, noting the surprise over a state minister making such remarks. It took Surekha’s comments seriously, directing her not to make any further defamatory statements about KTR.

It further stated that Surekha’s comments could harm society, and emphasised that all articles and videos linked to her remarks should not be available in the public domain.

“This marks the first time a court has expressed such strong disapproval in a defamation case involving someone at the ministerial level. In the past, Konda Surekha has made similar remarks, which the Election Commission sharply criticised. Despite this, there has been no change in Minister Surekha’s approach,” said KTR’s office in a press release.

“KTR has previously clarified that he will not tolerate any allegations that damage his character and has issued warnings to anyone attempting to make such statements about him. The court’s latest comments have strengthened KTR’s position in the case,” it added.

Also Read: Telangana youth’s unrest: Merit(?)less controversy over GO 29

Legal action from Nagarjuna

She is also facing legal action from actor Nagarjuna for making personal remarks against his family. Surekha is being charged under Section 356 of the BNSS in the case.

Nagarjuna accused Surekha of deliberately spreading lies, fully aware that they were false, with the sole aim of tarnishing his personal, professional and family reputation.

On 8 October, Nagarjuna recorded the statement in connection with the case at a Hyderabad court.

Answering the court’s question as to why he filed the defamation case, he said that her comments had done a lot of damage to the reputation of his family besides causing them mental agony.

He also spoke about Konda Surekha’s unwarranted comments on the divorce involving one of his family members. Nagarjuna’s counsel argued that Surekha’s comments were baseless and untrue.

(Edited by Muhammed Fazil)

Follow us