Ground Report: Explosion at chemical factory in Telangana: 12 dead; 35 injured

Health Minister Damodar Rajanarsimha speaking to the media at the site of accident said that 12 deaths have been reported.

Published Jun 30, 2025 | 1:05 PMUpdated Jun 30, 2025 | 9:50 PM

Explosion at chemical factory in Telangana

Synopsis: A massive explosion at Sigachi Chemical factory in Telangana’s Sangareddy district on 30 June killed 12 and injured 35. A reactor blast caused a fire and building collapse. Rescue teams estimate 60–120 workers were present. Officials pledged free treatment and support, while grieving families demand accountability. Eleven fire stations and three DRF units are conducting ongoing rescue efforts.

A major explosion occurred at the Sigachi Chemical factory in Pashamylaram Industrial area, Sangareddy district, Telangana, on the morning of Monday, 30 June, injuring 35 people, and killing 12.

According to reports, a chemical reactor exploded in the factory causing a huge fire.

Health Minister Damodar Rajanarsimha speaking to the media at the site of accident said that 12 deaths have been reported.

Labour Minister G Vivek Venkatswamy, who also visited the site claimed that among the injured, 12 are in critical condition. He further added that, “The factory manager is also among the 12 dead, due to which, it became difficult to get information as to what happened and get the exact number of workers present at the site.”

Ongoing rescue efforts

Telangana Fire Service DG, Nagireddy reiterating that due to manager’s death, it has become difficult to ascertain the number of workers, noted that, “As rescue operations continue, it is estimated that between 60 and 120 people were present at the site during the incident. So far, 35 individuals are receiving treatment, two have died in the hospital, and ten more bodies have been found at the site. A total of 11 fire stations and three Disaster Response Force (DRF) units have been mobilised for the ongoing efforts.”

Two individuals have been declared dead at the Pranaam Hospitals, where 21 others have been admitted for serious injuries.

Also Read: Former MLC N Ramachander Rao to helm Telangana BJP

Health minister inspects the site

Health Minister Damodar Rajanarsimha speaking to the media after inspecting the explosion site said, “A three-storey building has collapsed, and the reasons for the accident are yet to be known. At the time of the incident, around 65 people were at work in the building.”

“We have taken immediate steps to shift the injured to hospitals and ensure they receive better medical care. It is the responsibility of our government to provide them with complete treatment free of cost.”

“So far, it is understood that 12 people have lost their lives in this tragic incident. We express our deepest condolences to the families of the deceased. It is our government’s duty to protect and support the family of every worker affected by this tragedy. We urge everyone not to politicize such accidents or degrade the dignity of those involved. In such difficult situations, it is the responsibility of all of us to stand united and support the victims and their families,” he added.

The minister has also instructed that relief measures be taken immediately, and also asked the Sangareddy District Collector to provide better medical assistance to those injured in the explosion.

As per the instructions Sangareddy District Collector P Praveenya and SP Paritosh Pankaj reached the scene of the incident and participated in the relief work.

Chief minister directs rescue measures

Chief Minister Revanth Reddy also expressed shock over the massive fire accident and directed officials to take all necessary measures to rescue the workers trapped in the incident. He also instructed that the injured be provided with the best possible medical treatment.

Telangana Governor Jishnu Dev Varma conveyed his heartfelt condolences to the families of those who lost their lives in the unfortunate incident and wished a speedy recovery to the injured.

He further spoke to the Labour, Employment Training and Factories (LETF) Principal Secretary M Dana Kishore, IAS and directed him to extend all possible assistance and the best of medical help to the victims.

‘Will the company accept responsibility?’

Uncle of one of the deceased Lagnajeet Dwari, a 20-year old from Odisha, speaking with South First said, “I had just completed my night shift when I got a call that my nephew was hurt.”

“I rushed to the location with some known people in search of him but couldn’t find him anywhere. After searching for long I was able to find him at this hospital through his boss,” he explained.

Injured being admitted to the hospital

Injured being admitted to the hospital. (Supplied)

“When I came here, I was told that he died. My kid is gone, I feel like we’ve just come here to see his body like you’d go to visit god at a temple. Now what has happened has happened, will the company accept it’s responsibility?” he asked. The uncle and nephew have been in Hyderabad for close two two years and both work at Sigachi.

A friend of the injured, who is being treated at Pranaam Hospitals, speaking with South First said, “I do not work there, I work in Secunderabad. However, I rushed here after hearing about the blast. My friend is receiving treatment currently, I was told he has internal injuries in the chest. They said he’s not in danger.”

He is here to attend to his 30-year-old friend who was working at Sigachi Industries. They come from Arrah, Bhojpur district, Bihar, “We’ve been working in Hyderabad in spurts of six to seven months from the last couple of years,” he added.

Also Read: Telangana phone tapping scandal: A breach of democratic trust

(This is a developing story, further details are awaited)

(Edited by Sumavarsha, with inputs from Sumit Jha)

Follow us