The E-Prix, on Thursday, 28 December, in a statement said it is in discussions with the new Telangana government.
Published Dec 28, 2023 | 1:53 PM ⚊ Updated Dec 28, 2023 | 1:53 PM
Formula E race. (Supplied)
Formula E has raised fresh concerns over its race in Hyderabad, saying that it might not be able to go ahead with the round scheduled for 10 February following the latest communique from the new Telangana government.
The inaugural electric race in the country was held in February 2023, with then IT Minister KT Rama Rao playing a huge role in bringing the race to the city. However, KTR’s BRS party lost the state election to Congress in December.
The E-Prix, on Thursday, 28 December, in a statement said it is in discussions with the new Telangana government.
The statement said, “Formula E is seeking urgent clarification of their contractual commitments under the agreement and how it could impact the Hyderabad race. Based on the content of the letter received, Formula E is concerned the race will not be able to go ahead as planned.”
Formula E officials had met members of the new government earlier this month.
“Formula E’s senior executive team met with the new leadership of the Government of Telangana immediately following elections earlier this month. Discussions have been ongoing since then,” the statement read.
It added: “With the event just a few weeks away and in its final stages of preparation, Formula E, partners and suppliers have already made significant commercial investments in the event.”
Considering the operational challenges involved in hosting the first race, Formula E had dropped Hyderabad from the provisional calendar before including it in the final calendar in October.
The change of guard has put them in a tough spot with the Congress government’s letter to Formula E adding to its woes ahead of the race in six weeks’ time.
Initially, a four-year agreement was signed between Formula E, Telangana government and Greenko, which has pulled out of the event after the inaugural edition.
“The inaugural Hyderabad E-Prix in February this year returned almost $84 million in positive economic impact to the region, many times more than the overhead costs invested by Formula E and the Government of Telangana,” the statement added.
The cost of holding a Formula E race varies. The first race in Hyderabad cost the stakeholders more than ₹150 crore. It was the first FIA World Championship status event held in India in 10 years, following Formula 1’s departure in 2013.
Formula E is staged around the world and in iconic world cities including Tokyo, Berlin and London.
In February 2023, the organisers raced against time to get the Hyderabad Street Circuit ready for Formula E’s debut in India but, in the end, they pulled off the event amid a lot of fanfare.
A sizeable crowd turned up to watch the electric cars vrooming around the heart of the city, covering Hussain Sagar Lake, NTR Gardens and NTR Park.
FIA president Mohammed Ben Sulayem made a statement by turning up for the first world championship status race in India in 10 years.
The other special guests included the legendary Sachin Tendulkar, cricketers Shikhar Dhawan and Yuzvendra Chahal, and Union Sports Minister Anurag Thakur.
Renewable energy major Greenko organised the event with the support of the Telangana government.
(With PTI inputs)