KTR asserted he would comply with ACB summonses but accused CM Revanth Reddy of seeking "sadistic satisfaction" by summoning him, BRS supremo K. Chandrashekar Rao, and ex-minister T. Harish Rao before the PC Ghose Commission probing the Kaleshwaram lift irrigation project.
Published Jun 16, 2025 | 8:49 PM ⚊ Updated Jun 16, 2025 | 8:49 PM
KTR claimed he had anticipated being arrested.
Synopsis: Following an eight-hour-long grilling by the Telangana Anti-Corruption Bureau on Monday in connection with the alleged irregularities in the Formula E race, BRS Working President and former minister KT Rama Rao accused Chief Minister A Revanth Reddy of seeking “sadistic satisfaction” by targeting him, BRS Chief K Chandrashekar Rao, and former minister T Harish Rao in the ongoing Kaleshwaram Lift Irrigation Project probe by the PC Ghose Commission.
BRS Working President and former Telangana Minister KT Rama Rao was questioned for over eight hours by the Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB) on Monday, 16 June, in connection with alleged financial irregularities surrounding the Formula E race held during the previous BRS government’s tenure.
“They had nothing against me. They asked the same question in a thousand different ways – like whether I paid the money from my right pocket or left pocket – which is inconsequential,” KTR told the media after the questioning.
“I asked them where the was the corruption in this case. The money trail from source to destination is clear and documented. The ACB officials had no answer. I know it’s a flimsy (lottapeesu) case. He (Revanth Reddy) is a lottapeesu chief minister.”
I will never be deterred by your enquiries, commissions and political vendetta
We @BRSparty will continue to expose the Hollowness of #420 promises, Deceptive declarations and never to be trusted Six Guarantees
Bring it on Revanth 👍 pic.twitter.com/yFUOXmoeoP
— KTR (@KTRBRS) June 16, 2025
KTR also claimed he had anticipated being arrested.
“I don’t mind going to jail. I’ll stay for 14 days and come out. Revanth Reddy wants me jailed because he spent a month in jail. I fought for Telangana’s statehood; I won’t mind jail for Telangana,” he said.
“Since the Congress came to power in the state, 14 cases have been filed against me. Let them file 1,400. I’m not afraid.”
He said he would continue to respond to ACB summonses but accused Chief Minister A Revanth Reddy of seeking “sadistic satisfaction” by targeting him, BRS Chief K Chandrashekar Rao, and former Minister T Harish Rao in the ongoing Kaleshwaram lift irrigation project probe by the PC Ghose Commission.
The Banjara Hills ACB office was heavily secured, with barricades and traffic diversions imposed on Road No. 12 in anticipation of a gathering of KTR’s supporters.
Earlier in the day, KTR met senior BRS leaders Harish Rao and Balka Suman before consulting his father and Party Chief K Chandrashekar Rao at Nandinagar. He later proceeded to Telangana Bhavan and then to the ACB office under tight security.
Before appearing before the ACB, KTR stated: “We’ll question the government’s lapses. I’ll appear 30 times if needed – jail won’t deter me.”
Outside the ACB premises, BRS supporters gathered in solidarity, though they were kept at bay by police to prevent a repeat of the 9 January 2025 unauthorised protest.
Sources said ACB officials asked KTR to submit his mobile phone, but he claimed he had not brought it. He was directed to hand over all phones used during the Formula E-related transactions by 18 June.
The questioning largely focused on financial dealings related to the cancelled second edition of the Formula E race, which was scrapped after the Congress came to power in December 2023.
The ACB is said to have raised concerns over alleged misuse of HMDA funds, citing statements from the Formula E Organisation. Officials indicated that KTR may be summoned again.
The case pertains to alleged financial mismanagement in preparations for the Formula E race’s second edition.
The FIR, filed on 19 December 2024, names KTR, senior IAS officer Arvind Kumar, and former HMDA engineer BLN Reddy.
Charges have been registered under Sections 13(1)(A) and 13(2) of the Prevention of Corruption Act, 1988, along with Sections 409 and 120(B) of the Indian Penal Code.
KTR is accused of authorising the transfer of ₹55 crore to the UK-based Formula E Organisation (FEO) without approvals from the state cabinet, the finance department, or the Reserve Bank of India.
The funds, paid from the HMDA in two instalments on 3 and 11 October 2023, led to an income tax liability of ₹8.6 crore.
The Enforcement Directorate is separately investigating the matter under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA).
KTR has maintained that the case is a “political vendetta” aimed at damaging Hyderabad’s global image.
(Edited by Dese Gowda)