As Tamil Nadu celebrates Pongal, a festival of abundance, the state's distribution of festive gifts to ration card holders has sparked confusion, with the government notably reducing the traditional hampers given to families.
Published Jan 14, 2025 | 8:00 AM ⚊ Updated Jan 14, 2025 | 8:00 AM
Pongal 2025 is celebration time for ants, says Tamil Nadu ‘beneficiary’
As Tamil Nadu celebrates Pongal, a festival synonymous with abundance and gratitude, the state’s distribution of festive gifts to ration card holders has taken a turn that’s leaving many scratching their heads. The government has traditionally provided Pongal hampers to lakhs of families. This time, however, the government has been rather tight-fisted, and one ‘beneficiary’ remarked to South First that the piece of sugarcane in the hamper for ration card holders was just enough for the ants to celebrate.
Beneficiaries told South First that the state government’s Pongal gift package was a cause for cheer earlier, in the aftermath of floods from the retreating monsoon and other challenges. It included one kg of raw rice, one kg of sugar, 25 grammes of ghee, a generous Rs. 1000 in cash, and packets of dry fruits.
Additionally, each family received a saree and veshti (dhoti), adding to the festive mood.
This year, the package includes one kg of rice, one kg of sugar, one piece of sugarcane, a saree and veshti; the hamper does not include the cash component or dry fruits or ghee.
While the government’s Magalir Urimai Thogai Scheme has allocated ₹1000 monthly to eligible women, it appears that this decision has inadvertently impacted the Pongal package.
“Last year, we felt like we were being pampered for Pongal. The ₹1000 cash and the dry fruits were such a welcome surprise,” said Priya, a house help originally from Madurai.
“This year, it feels like we’re just being given the bare minimum. The sugarcane they gave us is so small, I feel like it’s only enough for the ants to celebrate!” she said, with a wry laugh.
“The saree and veshti are there, yes, but the quality is questionable,” noted Sumathi, a daily wage labourer from Velachery.
“The saree is so thin, I’m afraid it won’t last beyond one wash. It feels like a gesture for the sake of formality, not for utility. However, I am just grateful that we get it. I just feel that it should have been like last year since I have kids, I could give them the dry fruit packets.
Some citizens see this year’s pared-down package as an inevitable trade-off for the Magalir Urimai Thogai.
“The government’s ₹1000 scheme for women is undoubtedly helpful,” said Karthikeyan, a ration card holder originally from Salem. “But the timing makes it feel like they’re saying, ‘You already get ₹1000 every month, so you can’t expect more during Pongal.’”
Others believe the change reflects an easing of last year’s extraordinary circumstances.
“In 2024, there were floods and other issues, so perhaps the government felt the need to be more generous,” said Lakshmi, a resident of Annanagar. “This year, it’s back to business as usual.”
Sitting under the shade of a tree, an elderly fruit seller near Koyambedu named Ramasamy shared his thoughts: “The sugarcane they gave this year is barely worth chewing. Back in my day, Pongal gifts truly symbolised the spirit of the festival.”
Selvi, a single mother at Koyambedu market, expressed mixed feelings. “The ₹1000 scheme has been a blessing for us women, no doubt. But the festival is for the family, not just women. A little extra during Pongal would have shown they care about everyone.”
It was reported that the cutback in generosity this Pongal was on account of a financial crunch the state government faced.
Finance Minister Thangam Thennarasu said the exclusion of the ₹1,000 cash component was due to a financial crunch, exacerbated by insufficient fund allocations from the Union government.
He noted that while the state sought ₹37,817 crore for disaster relief, only ₹276 crore was released from the State Disaster Response Fund.
Additionally, ₹2,151.59 crore under the Samagra Shiksha scheme remains pending.
Ranganayaki, a daily wage worker said, “The gradual reduction and eventual removal of the cash component in the Pongal gift scheme leave us feeling neglected. In 2021, the ₹2,500 cash assistance was a significant help during the festive season. However, in 2024, it was reduced to ₹1,000, and this year, there’s no cash at all. It feels like the government’s initiatives are more about showcasing their efforts than providing genuine support.”
Ranganayaki’s husband, an auto driver, said, “Over the years, the Pongal gift scheme had been a source of joy and relief for many families. The cash component, especially, helped us manage additional expenses during the festival. The reduction from ₹2,500 in 2021 to ₹1,000 in 2024, and now the complete removal in 2025, is disheartening. It seems like these gestures are becoming more symbolic than substantial, leaving us disappointed and questioning the government’s commitment to our welfare.”
(Edited by Rosamma Thomas)