Tamil Nadu journalist Nesaprabhu brutally attacked; pleaded police for protection before assault

Hours prior to the incident, Nesaprabhu noticed that he was being followed and called the police control room, seeking protection.

BySouth First Desk

Published Jan 25, 2024 | 11:36 AMUpdatedJan 25, 2024 | 11:36 AM

Journalist Nesaprabhu. (Sourced)

In a shocking incident, Tamil Nadu journalist Nesaprabhu was attacked on the night of Wednesday, 24 January, by an unknown gang wielding weapons. He currently works with News7 Tamil as the correspondent in Palladam town in Tiruppur district.

The horrific attack on a reporter has led to journalist associations demanding a thorough investigation in the case, raising questions on law and order under the DMK regime. Journalists from across Tamil Nadu are staging protests condemning the attack on Nesaprabhu.

A chilling phone conversation between the reporter and a police official where he is heard pleading for protection from a gang that had been suspiciously following him has sent shock waves across the state. At the end of the phone call, Nesaprabhu is heard telling the policeman in a panic that several people in cars had surrounded him and had started assaulting him.

What happened to Nesaprabhu

According to a News7 Tamil report, Nesaprabhu was busy gathering news on Wednesday when he noticed that he was being followed by unknown persons in cars and bikes. Following this, he contacted the police control room and gave them information.

The police control room further informed the local Kamanaickenpalayam Police Station. Following this, the local police contacted Nesaprabhu and asked him for an explanation regarding his complaint.

The News7 Tamil report stated that “Nesaprabhu requested security from the police for more than four hours, but the police, who handled it indifferently, instructed him to come and file a complaint in person.”

Also Read: Journalist allegedly threatened by Congress MLA Mynampally Rohith

The incident

Feeling that his life was under threat, Nesaprabhu sought refuge in a public area around 9 pm, providing the police with detailed information about the vehicles tailing him.

However, while on the phone with the police, unidentified persons in five vehicles surrounded Nesaprabhu, who was hiding at a nearby petrol bunk.

In an audio being circulated on social media, a terrified Nesaprabhu can be heard telling the police, “Sir, they have come, they have come… Sir, please come. There are five cars…They have come, sir… It’s over, my life is over… There is a Punch car, an Innova, Indica…”

Following the call, Nesaprabhu was brutally attacked by the gang wielding sickles and knives. He sustained severe injuries to his left hand, as well as deep cuts on his leg, chest, and head. The gang fled from the scene.

Also Read: Union minister sees Mamata Banerjee, Bhagwant Mann remarks as ‘collapse of INDIA bloc’

Police action

The locals informed the Kamanaickenpalayam Police about the incident, leading to their prompt arrival at the scene. The police rescued Nesaprabhu, who was lying in a pool of blood, and admitted him to Palladam Hospital. Subsequently, he was transferred to the intensive care unit of a private hospital in Coimbatore for further treatment, the News7 Tamil report stated.

The report further stated that District Superintendent of Police Dr Saminathan IPS inspected the incident site, seizing surveillance footage from the petrol station and nearby areas for investigation.

The incident has sparked outrage across Tamil Nadu, with various news and media associations, including Chennai Journalists’ Forum and Tiruppur District Journalists’ Association, condemning the brutal attack. Journalists and press associations collectively called for the immediate arrest of the perpetrators and a thorough investigation into the incident.

Nesaprabhu is known for his proactive approach in highlighting critical issues faced by the public, stated the News7 Tamil report.