A private agency hired to undertake scrutiny of visa applications of Canadians said visa services were suspended due to operational reasons.
Published Sep 21, 2023 | 7:33 PM ⚊ Updated Sep 21, 2023 | 7:33 PM
Arindam Bagchi (X)
India on Thursday, 21 September, temporarily suspended issuing visas to Canadian citizens in view of “security threats” faced by its high commission and consulates in Canada, amid an escalating diplomatic row over Ottawa’s allegations relating to the killing of a Khalistani separatist in that country.
External Affairs Ministry Spokesperson Arindam Bagchi said the decision will include Canadian visa applicants in third countries even as he asserted Canada must act against pro-Khalistani elements operating from its territory.
India is temporarily unable to process visa applications from Canada because of the “security threats” faced by our high commission and consulates in Canada, Bagchi said at a media briefing.
“You are aware of the security threats being faced by our high commission and consulates in Canada. It has disrupted their normal functioning. Accordingly, our high commission and consulates are temporarily unable to process visa applications,” he said.
Bagchi said the situation will be reviewed regularly. He said all categories of visas have been suspended.
“The issue is not about travel to India. Those who have valid visas and documents like OCI (Overseas Citizenship of India) cards are free to travel to India,” Bagchi said.
“The issue is the incitement of violence, the inaction by the Canadian authorities, creation of an environment that disrupts the functioning of our high commission and consulates. That’s making us temporarily stop the issuance of visas or providing visa services,” he said.
“We will be reviewing the situation on a regular basis,” Bagchi said.
Earlier in the day, in a series of flip-flops, BLS International, a private agency hired by India to undertake the initial scrutiny of visa applications of Canadians, put out a note on its website, saying visa services had been suspended due to “operational reasons”. It withdrew the note within hours, and then again put it back online.
The agency also informed the stock exchanges that it had suspended India visa services in Canada with immediate effect.
India and Canada are embroiled in a diplomatic row over the killing of Khalistani separatist leader Hardeep Singh Nijjar in June.
The row erupted following Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s allegations of a “potential” involvement of Indian agents in the killing.
India on Tuesday, 19 September, rejected the allegations as “absurd” and “motivated” and expelled a senior Canadian diplomat in a tit-for-tat move to Ottawa’s expulsion of an Indian official over the case.
In reflection of the hardening of its position, India on Wednesday advised all its nationals living in Canada and those contemplating travelling there to exercise “utmost caution” in view of growing anti-India activities and “politically-condoned” hate crimes as well as “criminal violence” in that country.
At the media briefing, Bagchi also said that there was a degree of “prejudice” in Trudeau’s allegations.
He said Canada did not share any specific information with India on the case.
The India-Canada ties have been reeling under some strain for the past few months in view of increasing activities of the pro-Khalistani elements in the North American country. India believes the Trudeau government is not addressing its genuine concerns.
(Disclaimer: The headline, subheads, and intro of this report along with the photos may have been reworked by South First. The rest of the content is from a syndicated feed, and has been edited for style.)