Delhi liquor scam: Court to hear bail plea of Benoy Babu on 19 January

Benoy Babu is an executive of the liquor giant Pernod Ricard who is accused in the Delhi excise policy scam.

Published Jan 09, 2023 | 7:31 PMUpdated Jan 09, 2023 | 7:31 PM

Bail plea of Benoy Babu

A Delhi court will hear on 19 January, the bail application of liquor giant Pernod Ricard’s executive, Benoy Babu, arrested in a money laundering case related to the alleged Delhi excise policy scam also involving Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia.

Special Judge MK Nagpal, who was scheduled to hear the arguments on Babu’s bail application on Monday, 9 January, adjourned the matter on pleas made by the Enforcement Directorate (ED) as well as the advocate appearing for the accused.

In its order, the judge also noted that the prosecution complaint (ED’s equivalent to a charge sheet) against Babu, as well as against some other co-accused, had been filed before the court and the court was yet to take cognisance of the documents.

ED is investigating the alleged irregularities in the now-scrapped liquor policy of the Delhi government.

“Bail application of the accused is fixed for arguments today. However, the prosecution complaint qua him, as well as against some other co-accused, stands filed before this court now and Counsel representing the accused submits that they are in the process of inspecting records of the said complaint and documents filed in support thereof. Hence, some time is being requested for addressing arguments on the application. As jointly requested, list the application now on 19 January 2023 for arguments,” the judge said.

Also read: Delhi HC to hear CBI’s plea challenging bail in mid-January

The ED had on 6 January filed a supplementary charge sheet against five individuals and seven companies in the case.

The ED, however, did not name Sisodia as the accused in the case and told the judge that further investigation is going on in the matter.

The individuals named in the charge sheet are Vijay Nair, Sharath Reddy, Binoy Babu, Abhishek Boinpally and Amit Arora.

The money laundering case stems from a CBI FIR that had also named Sisodia as an accused, among others. The CBI had raided the premises of the deputy chief minister and some Delhi government bureaucrats after filing the case.

The excise scheme came under the scanner after the Delhi lieutenant governor recommended a CBI probe into the alleged irregularities in the implementation of the Delhi Excise Policy 2021-22. The LG had also suspended 11 excise officials.

(Disclaimer: The headline, subheads, and intro of this report along with the photos may have been reworked by South First. The rest of the content is from a syndicated feed, and has been edited for style.)

Follow us