Over 1,500 Samsung workers at the Sriperumbudur plant were protesting with demands including better pay and decreased working hours.
Published Oct 15, 2024 | 8:52 PM ⚊ Updated Oct 15, 2024 | 8:52 PM
Samsung workers protest in Tamil Nadu
The Tamil Nadu government announced on Tuesday, 15 October, that Samsung employees have called off their strike. It also said that the workers have agreed to cooperate with the management. However, the workers union – Samsung India Workers Union (SIWU) – denied the claim. They are yet to take a call on their next course of action, albeit acknowledging that talks with the government have been positive.
Over 1,500 workers at the Samsung manufacturing unit in Sriperumbudur have been protesting since 9 September. They were seeking higher wages and improved working conditions. This is one of the largest protests in recent Tamil Nadu history as 1,500 of 1,700 were on protest.
In a press release, the DMK government said, “All the striking workers will immediately call off the strike and return to work. The management will not victimise the workers for participating in the strike.”
Responding to the Tamil Nadu government’s announcement, a Samsung union president said the government does not have the authority to call off the strike. Speaking to South First, Muthukumar, president of the union in Kanchipuram said, “The Tamil Nadu government is no one to call this strike off.”
Claiming the workers’ right to decide whether to call off the strike and when to announce it, he said, “We will tell the people and the government when we have to, that being tomorrow (16 October) at 11 am.”
Though there were multiple rounds of negotiations between labour unions, Samsung management, and Tamil Nadu government officials, no resolution was reached until now.
The strike escalated after the workers’ union, SIWU voiced concerns over wage disparities, excessive working hours, and poor benefits. Many employees, some with more than a decade of service, earn less than ₹30,000 a month.
Additionally, the workers were calling for a reduction in their current nine-hour shifts to eight hours, alongside a proper utilisation of their sanctioned leaves.
The Tamil Nadu government stepped in to mediate the dispute after several weeks. The CM tasked three senior ministers, TRB Rajaa, TM Anbarasan and CV Ganesan to oversee negotiations.
During the course of protest by workers, Tamil Nadu government came under criticism for multiple arrests. Samsung workers accused the government of siding with the company.
Even last week, police arrested Centre of Indian Trade Unions (CITU) state President A Soundararajan along with 10 workers at the Samsung factory in Kanchipuram.
Following this, the workers continued their protest despite heavy rain even after the police demanded to abandon the protest. This arrest took place amidst politicians like Thol Thirumavalavan of the VCK, and K Selvaperunthagai of the Congress and others were set to meet the workers in person.
After the arrest, an urgent appeal was filed in the Madras High Court against the police’s actions. Advocate Thirumurthy, representing the CITU union, demanded an urgent hearing, and the court agreed to hear the case later in the day.
The arrested Samsung workers were released as the magistrate refused to remind them. The Madras High Court ordered that “Samsung workers are not prohibited from protesting peacefully.”
(Edited by Neena)