Several candidates have been protesting for a week against the KSPC's move to hold the exam on a weekday, saying it would strip several of them of the opportunity to take the test.
Published Aug 26, 2024 | 4:00 PM ⚊ Updated Aug 26, 2024 | 4:00 PM
KPSC aspirants protesting demanding a postponement of prelims exams scheduled for 27 August, in Bengaluru. (Supplied)
The Karnataka Public Service Commission (KPSC) is firm on its decision to hold the preliminary examination for recruiting 384 gazetted probationers on Tuesday, 27 August, despite a section of candidates demanding it to keep the test on a Sunday.
The candidates have been protesting for a week against the KSPC move to hold the exam on a weekday, saying it would strip several of them of the opportunity to take the test.
They said those already working in the private sector may not get leave to take the test on a weekday. The exam, which has been postponed three times in the past four months, comprises two papers with 200 marks each.
Even as the protesters sought the intervention of Governor Thawaar Chand Gehlot, the government termed them a “lobby” of a small group and said the exam would be held as per the schedule. The government also pointed out the difficulties in rescheduling the exam.
Additionally, the authorities said those given relaxation in the age limit were behind the protest.
In a notification issued on 26 February 2024, the KPSC said the exam would be held on 5 May. But it was postponed to 7 July due to the second phase of the Lok Sabha polls in Karnataka on 7 May.
However, it was again postponed to 21 July as 7 July coincided with a UPSC examination. Meanwhile, the government issued an order on 21 June, allowing the 2017-18 batch to make an additional attempt. Most of them were above the prescribed age limit. About 1,560 applications were received during this period.
Along with the order, it also rescheduled the exam for 25 August, a Sunday, and the update was published on the KPSC website on 26 June.
To facilitate applications from the 2017-18 batch, a simplified software version was developed by 6 July, with setting up 21 July as the deadline for receiving applications. About 1,560 applications were received during this period.
Meanwhile, the Institute of Banking Personnel Selection (IBPS) exam dates were declared on 21 July although tentative dates had been announced in January, without any subsequent confirmation or updates on the website.
The Karnataka government on 3 August, announced that the KPSC prelims exam would be held on 25 August. It later rescheduled the prelims to 27 August. The KPSC has now made all preparations for conducting the examination.
Demanding the conduct of the exam on a Sunday, the protesters said several aspirants have been allotted centres far from their homes, and those employed in the private sector might not be able to take the exam for the want of leave from work.
V Manjunath, 39, was among those demanding a change in the exam day. “I have been preparing for the KPSC exam for the last three years. This is my last attempt to appear since I will be past the age limit soon. It is difficult for me to turn up for the exam on a weekday. Hence, the government must postpone the exam,” he demanded.
ನಾನು 39 ವರ್ಷದ ಕೆಎಎಸ್ ಪೂರ್ವಭಾವಿ ಪರೀಕ್ಷೆಯ ಅಭ್ಯರ್ಥಿ ನನಗೆ ಇದೇ ಕೊನೆಯ ಅವಕಾಶ
ನಾನು ಖಾಸಗಿ ಕ್ಷೇತ್ರದ ನೌಕರನಾಗಿದ್ದು ಪರೀಕ್ಷೆಯನ್ನು ಕೆಲಸದ ದಿನ ಆಗಸ್ಟ್ 27 ರಂದು ನಿಗದಿ ಮಾಡಿದ್ದೀರಿ
ನಾನು ಅವಕಾಶ ವಂಚಿತನಾಗುತ್ತಿದ್ದೇನೆ ;ಅಭ್ಯರ್ಥಿಯ ಅಳಲು
ಪರೀಕ್ಷೆ ಮುಂದೂಡಿ ನಮ್ಮ ಹಕ್ಕುಗಳನ್ನು ರಕ್ಷಿಸಿ @CMofKarnataka#postponekas pic.twitter.com/hK0gOH1g3c— AKSSA OFFICIAL (@AKSSAofficial) August 23, 2024
Another aspirant, Sneha, pointed at what she claimed was a breach of rule. “As per the rules, the KPSC has to prepare the question paper just a week in advance but now it was set a month ago,” she said while demanding the exam to be postponed.
ಅಖಿಲ ಕರ್ನಾಟಕ ರಾಜ್ಯ ವಿದ್ಯಾರ್ಥಿ ಸಂಘಟನೆ ಆಗಸ್ಟ್ 27ರಂದು ನಿಗದಿಯಾಗಿರುವ ಪೂರ್ವಭಾವಿ ಪರೀಕ್ಷೆಯನ್ನು ಮುಂದೂಡುವ ಕುರಿತು ಪ್ರತಿಭಟನೆಯನ್ನು ನಡೆಸುತ್ತಿದೆ ಆದರೆ ಇಲ್ಲಿವರೆಗೂ ಸರ್ಕಾರ ನಮ್ಮ ಬೇಡಿಕೆಗೆ ಸ್ಪಂದಿಸಿಲ್ಲ
ಆಮರಣ ಉಪವಾಸ ಸತ್ಯಾಗ್ರಹವನ್ನು ಕೈಗೊಳ್ಳಲು ಇದೀಗ ನಿರ್ಧರಿಸಿದ್ದೇವೆ !@CMofKarnataka @DKShivakumar pic.twitter.com/h8dZDGpGOt
— AKSSA OFFICIAL (@AKSSAofficial) August 24, 2024
Several others sought a permanent solution to the issue. “This is not a new issue. Whenever there are exams, such issues will pop up due to lack of coordination between the central and state recruitment agencies,” KPSC aspirant Maruti Yamanal told South First.
“Several people missed applying when the KPSC held exams in 2020 during the Covid. Hence, they have been given an additional chance. A section of people raise issues only for the top post but never react to issues about Group C and D jobs,” Yamanal, trying his luck for a third time, said.
He felt a better coordination between the central and state recruitment agencies would address several concerns, including the clash of exam dates. “This is one of the biggest issues that leads to the postponement of exams. The authorities concerned must look into this and address it permanently,” he opined.
Dharwad’s Abhishek Bhogar said while those in the public sector would get a day off for appearing for the exam, private sector employees would not have the luxury. He opposed further postponement of the exam.
Despite the protesting aspirants submitting a memorandum to the governor, the KPSC looked adamant about going ahead with the exam scheduled. Over the past week, the offices of the authorities concerned, including that of the chief minister and other ministers, were flooded with phone calls demanding a postponement of the exam.
“A small group of KAS aspirants are lobbying for the postponement of the gazetted probationers examination scheduled to be held on 27 August. In this effort they are resorting to all sorts of pressure tactics,” In a press statement, Additional Chief Secretary to the chief minister LK Atheeq said in a media statement.
“The aspirants are flooding offices of the KPSC, Department of Personnel and Administrative Reforms and CMO with calls and messages. So much so that at times I am forced to put my phone on airplane mode. They are spreading a lot of misinformation and trying to give an impression that there is a scam,” he added.
“If the KPSC or the government gives in to this lobby of about 1,500 students (number of people who applied late after age relaxation), then over 2.5 lakh applicants will be put to hardship and injustice,” the senior official further said.
“They are all prepared, booked their tickets to examination centres and ready. There is no basis to say KPSC is conducting exams in a hurry. The exam is being held on a working day as no other free Sunday is available for the next two months,” he pointed out the hurdle before the government, which had spent ₹4 to ₹5 crore for conducting the exam.
“A lot of preparation goes into conducting an exam for over 2.5 lakh students. Postponement by two months means the printed papers should be destroyed and new papers should be printed. The papers cannot be kept for such a long time as there is a risk of leak,” the official added that the exam would be held as per the schedule.
When asked about the allegations regarding the question paper, Atheeq told South First: “Question papers are printed in time, which is about three-four weeks before the exam as they have to be packed and despatched to examination centres. The allegations are baseless.”
(Edited by Majnu Babu).
(South First is now on WhatsApp and Telegram)