‘Trying to shield him’: Activists allege ‘preferential treatment’ to IAF officer in Bengaluru road rage case

Activists have criticised the lack of transparency, suggesting preferential treatment by Bengaluru Police to Bose since Kumar had been arrested soon after the incident on 21 April, taken for a spot mahajar, and released on station bail from Indiranagar police station the next afternoon.

Published Apr 29, 2025 | 8:00 AMUpdated Apr 29, 2025 | 8:00 AM

‘Trying to shield him’: Activists allege ‘preferential treatment’ to IAF officer in Bengaluru road rage case

Synopsis: Activists have alleged that Bengaluru Police are showing preferential treatment to IAF officer Shiladitya Bose, who has been booked for assaulting a biker in a road rage incident but was only summoned for questioning. They pointed out that while the biker, Vikas Kumar, was arrested soon after the incident, Bose has not faced similar action. Police said they are following a High Court directive which bars coercive action against Bose, while activists are planning further legal action. 

Bengaluru Police have confirmed that IAF officer Shiladitya Bose, booked for assaulting a biker in a road rage incident, has been summoned for interrogation, but declined to reveal further details citing ongoing investigation and a High Court directive against coercive action.

However, activists have criticised the lack of transparency, suggesting preferential treatment to Bose since Kumar had been arrested soon after the incident on 21 April, taken for a spot mahajar, and released on station bail from Indiranagar police station the next afternoon.

“I don’t know why the police are not revealing any details. Even we have approached them several times for an update on the case and why Shiladitya Bose was not detained just like they had detained Vikas Kumar,” Arun Javagal, founder of Namma Naadu, Namma Alvike told South First. 

“They have purposely delayed in detaining him and I suspect the police is trying to shield him even at this point.”

Javagal added that they are planning further legal action against Bose for his initial attempts to turn a road rage incident into a language and culture issue.

“We are going to approach senior advocate, KV Dhananjay to fight our case in High Court on behalf of Vikas Kumar as well as Karnataka Rakshana Vedike for turning road rage case as war of language for their personal fights,” he said.

He further urged the police to maintain transparency: “The police in Baiyappanahalli must clear the air and provide us an update so that people’s faith is restored in the police.”

However, police said they are following an earlier High Court directive barring coercive action against Bose.

“The investigation is on, Wing Commander Shiladitya Bose has been summoned and interrogated. We cannot take any coercive action against him as per the directions of the court,” T Rangappa, Assistant Commissioner of Police, Halasuru Sub-division told South First.

Asked whether Bose had submitted dashcam footage of the incident, he added, “All that is being investigated in this case.”

Inspector Shivakumar of Baiyappanahalli police station, currently on leave, also refused to share specifics.

Also Read: Karnataka CM condemns IAF officer, calls out national media for defaming Karnataka

High Court bars coercive action

The incident took place in the early morning of April 21 in the Baiyappanahalli police limits, when Bose and his wife, Madhumita Das – a Squadron Leader with the DRDO – alleged that Kumar, a private company employee who was on a motorbike, provoked them after a near-collision.

Bose initially claimed in a series of social media posts that he was targeted for not speaking Kannada and for displaying a DRDO sticker.

“I did not retaliate, God gave me power not to retaliate,” he said.

However, hours later, CCTV footage emerged contradicting these claims, showing Bose brutally beating and kicking Kumar despite multiple attempts by bystanders to separate them.

Following public outrage and support for Kumar from pro-Kannada organisations, a counter-complaint was filed against Bose on April 22.

Meanwhile, on April 25, the Karnataka High Court, while hearing Bose’s plea seeking to quash proceedings against him, directed Bengaluru Police not to take coercive action without following due process.

“Respondent No 1, Bengaluru police shall not take any coercive action and shall not summon the petitioner without following due procedure of law. The petitioner shall cooperate with the investigation,” Justice Hemanth Chandangoudar stated in the order.

(Edited by Dese Gowda)

Follow us