The BRS working president grew annoyed with police insistence that his advocate wouldn’t be allowed to be present during the questioning.
Published Jan 06, 2025 | 4:43 PM ⚊ Updated Jan 06, 2025 | 7:25 PM
KTR emerges from ED office after 7-hour grilling, challenges Revanth Reddy to lie detector test
Bharat Rashtra Samithi (BRS) working president and former Telangana Municipal Administration Minister KT Rama Rao left the Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB) office in Hyderabad on Monday, 6 January, without appearing for questioning, protesting the police’s refusal to allow his advocate to accompany him during the process in the alleged Formula E Race irregularities case.
The BRS leader arrived at the ACB office at around 10 a.m. with his advocate but encountered resistance from the police, who insisted that only he could enter.
A visibly annoyed KTR, argued with the police, demanding to know why his advocate was being denied entry. He asked for a written statement confirming that his advocate would not be permitted during questioning.
He reminded the ACB that it had issued him notice to appear despite the pending High Court judgment.
“In the first place, there is no need for the ACB to call me when the High Court has reserved its order [on his plea to quash the FIR issued by the ACB].
“Even then, I decided to appear. Now, you are not allowing my advocate. What exactly is your problem?” an indignant KTR asked.
KTR stated that he was prepared to wait outside the ACB office until he received the written confirmation. When the police did not relent, he submitted a formal representation and left without participating in the questioning.
In his representation to the ACB, KTR contended that, as the High Court had reserved its judgment on the matter, the ACB should defer further action until the verdict was delivered.
He asserted that he was willing to cooperate fully, subject to his constitutional and legal rights. “Let the ACB give in writing that I have no right to seek the help of my counsels. I do not understand why the ACB does not want my advocate by my side when they conduct the inquiry,” he said.
KTR also requested that the ACB specify the documents and information they sought and provide sufficient time for his response.
Speaking to reporters from his car, KTR expressed concerns about potential police misconduct. He accused the authorities of fabricating evidence in the past, citing the example of former legislator Patnam Narender Reddy who was accused of inciting the violence in the Lagcherla village.
“The police, in the name of investigation, created a document with a statement that Narender Reddy never made, to implicate us [in the Lagacharla row]. I have a doubt the police are up to the same game once again. What is wrong if I appear along with my advocate? It is the right the Constitution of India has given me. I have decided to appear before the ACB as I am a law-abiding citizen having profound respect for the courts and the law,” he stated.
He questioned whether the Constitution authored by Dr BR Ambedkar was being upheld or if it had been replaced by one drafted by Chief Minister A Revanth Reddy.
“I have a suspicion that the ABC is contemplating raiding my residence and planting some documents to frame me in the case.
“But I am not scared. I will fight till the end. Revanth Reddy has come up with this idea only to divert the attention of the people from his failure to provide ₹15,000 per acre per year to farmers under Rythu Bandhu,” he said.
KTR maintained that the Formula E Race decision was made during his tenure as a minister and that all relevant records were with the government.
“There is no additional information with me. The Formula E Race decision was one that I had taken when I was a minister. The entire record is with the government. I have already presented my case before the court,” he said.
KTR is also scheduled to appear before the Enforcement Directorate on Tuesday, 7 January, in connection with the same case. It remains unclear whether he will seek a postponement or comply with the notice and appear as scheduled.
The ACB issued second notice to KTR to appear before them on 9 January in connection with the inquiry into the Formula E-Race Case. The ACB has asked him to appear without his advocate. It is not clear whether KTR will appear as directed or seek more time or challenge the issue of the notice in the High Court.
(Edited by Dese Gowda)