Samyukta Kisan Morcha leaders join farmers’ protest in Bengaluru ahead of meeting with chief minister

The protesters held a conference to raise the issues and voice the demands behind their indefinite protest against land acquisition on the outskirts of the city.

Published Jul 04, 2025 | 10:51 AMUpdated Jul 04, 2025 | 10:51 AM

The protesting farmers held a conference on 3 July to raise the issues and voice the demands

Synopsis: National leaders of the Samyukta Kisan Morcha arrived at Freedom Park in Bengaluru to join the demonstration and express their support for the farmers who have been fighting against the forced land acquisition in Devanahalli. 

Ahead of the meeting between Chief Minister Siddaramaiah and the farmers’ leaders protesting at Freedom Park in Bengaluru against the forced land acquisition in Devanahalli on Friday, 4 July, national leaders of the Samyukta Kisan Morcha arrived at the protest site to join the demonstration and express their support for the farmers.

On Thursday, the protesters held a conference to raise the issues and voice the demands behind their indefinite protest against land acquisition on the outskirts of the city.

The members of the Samyuktha Horata Karnataka are set to meet  Siddaramaiah at 11 am on Friday, where they hope to finally hear the government’s stand, straight from the man who once promised to stand with them.

Chukki Nanjundaswamy, a farmers’ rights activist, had told South First earlier that there would also be a big mobilisation on Friday.

Related: Farmers’ rights activists to hold mass mobilisation in Bengaluru

Fight to protect farmlands

Darshan Pal, president of the Krantikari Kisan Union based in Punjab, said during the conference, “In Delhi, we fought continuously for thirteen months against the Union government’s black laws and achieved victory, but the farmers here have been fighting for three and a half years. When land acquisition happens across the country, there is a discussion about a package, but the farmers here have decided not to give up their land and are still committed to that stand. For that reason, this is a unique struggle.”

Sources told South First that several people have misunderstood the motive behind this protest. “Many think what the farmers want is higher compensation; they don’t seem to understand that they are not ready to give up this fertile land at any cost.”

“A trip was arranged for the media to visit these farmers in Devanahalli three days ago, including the ones who lost their lands, and to be able to grasp the real story,” the sources added.

Dr Viju Krishnan, the general secretary of the All India Kisan Sabha, said, “We have come to extend solidarity. This is a unique movement because in many places, these steps are taken for compensation; here, it is to protect the farmland.

“As far as this government is concerned, the civil society groups, farmers, and workers all worked towards the defeat of the BJP, so what was expected from the Congress government was not what they’re actually doing. From Channarayapatna’s 13 villages, it’s extending across the state, so I hope the government will be forced to listen to them,” he added.

After over three years of continued resistance and with pressure mounting on the Congress-led state government ahead of the meeting, Several people said that this week could be a turning point in the fight.

Asks Siddaramaiah to keep his promise

Dr Sunilam, a former MLA of Madhya Pradesh, who’s currently an active member of the Samyukta Kisan Morcha, said, “We came here to reiterate that this Siddaramaiah government was made because of the farmers; he had assured them, gave them a promise, so he must keep his promise (to give back the lands).”

“People consider him different from other politicians; there’s more hope from him. But the industry minister is putting pressure, trying to fulfil the ‘corporate needs,’ so what we want to remind you (the chief minister) is that the corporate world wasn’t the one that helped you win.”

“What I’m trying to say is that Rahul Gandhi fought hard for the Land Acquisition Bill in 2013. It is his responsibility to tell his government to cancel this notification. If we got Modi to back off at the end of the Union government’s black laws, then this shouldn’t be impossible,” he added.

Sunilam added that if the government forced people to submit to this land acquisition, then it would be considered illegal before the court.

Rakesh Tikait, an Indian farmers’ rights activist and national spokesperson of the Bharatiya Kisan Union (BKU), and Yudhvir Singh, general secretary of BKU, jointly told South First they have full faith that it will all work out for the farmers.

“The protest is needed to bring the much-needed attention of the authorities concerned to the matter. It shows the honest intention of the people. We are here to lend support and strength,” they added.

“Negotiations are needed to resolve any issue; that’s the first step. We believe it will come to fruition. Let’s see how the meeting goes tomorrow (Friday) and take it from there,” Yudhvir Singh added.

Also Read: Public anger, CCTV evidence lead to suspension of three BBMP officials

Medha Patkar writes to Siddaramaiah

Meanwhile, more voices, louder with every number, keep joining the fight. Medha Patkar, the primary leader of Narmada Bachao Andolan, wrote to Chief Minister Siddaramaiah raising the issue.

“…But, Respected Siddaramaiah Sir, we don’t expect the government under your leadership to resort to some other state-level Act like the Karnataka Industrial Board Act to bypass all these participatory and democratic processes in decision-making. We also expect that you will stand with the farmers, small traders, and all those whose livelihood depends on the land proposed to be acquired for the industrial estate,” she wrote.

“They are not even seeking cash compensation, which mostly leads to misuse of cash or even corruption. They are trying to save their only source of livelihood, on which they have depended for generations,” she added.

Patkar said she appealed to the chief minister’s conscience and his cabinet ministers, including the Industries Minister MB Patil, to take cognisance of the people’s views and their perspective on development, and to repeal the proposed project to save their livelihoods, which is part of the Right to Life under Article 21 of the Constitution.

“Thanking you and expecting a positive response through the dialogue that is likely to be held with the representatives of the people in the affected region on 4 July. I would have liked to attend, but since that is not possible, this letter is to request you from the bottom of my heart,” she added.

The farmers have been protesting for the past 1,181 days against the acquisition of 1,300 acres at Channarayanapatna Hobli, and the Karnataka Industrial Area Development Board’s (KIADB) plan to take over an additional 1,777 acres of farmland spread across 13 villages in Devanahalli. The protest began after the farmers were issued notices in January 2022.

(Edited by Muhammed Fazil.)

Follow us